M42 to G260

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M42 to G260

Im building an m42 and have goals for high numbers so im swapping to a g260. Ive searched quite a bit and havent found much. im thinking the easiest way to go about this swap is to have my drive shaft shortened. Ive thought about moving the engine forward about an inch and a half but i would like to have as much room for plumbing in the bay and am not sure how to go about moving the mounts forward. a question i have is how much power can the m42 driveshaft handle? anyone have an idea? any thoughts, questions or experience in this swap please post. i will be taking plenty of pictures and writing the steps i take for others wanting to do the swap too.

Ive got another thread on e30tech. ill bring any good info from the other thread and compile it here. Same with the e30tech thread so the same info will be available in either thread

You should contact Rob of HQ Autosport. He co-owns/races a 300+hp m42 turbo e30 and could probably answer your questions as good or better than anyone on the planet.

Full-Service German Auto Repair in Escondido CA Specializing in BMW Repair, Mercedes Repair, Audi Repair, VW Repair, & MINI Repair.

Comment

g240 will handle 300 hp if i recall. I know he did break a few tho.

300 street... all day long. 300 track... not so much

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
      Ig:ryno_pzk
      I like the tuna here.
      Originally posted by lambo
      Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

So wait there's a difference between street and race horsepower?????

;)

-NICK

Comment

Originally posted by Balleristic31 View Post
          So wait there's a difference between street and race horsepower?????

;)
          You're not running at 85-100% load at all times on the street. We broke a G260 with a eta at Infineon.
          Originally posted by Gruelius
          and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

iirc transmissions from e36's will bolt up because the M50/52/54 bolt pattern is the same as the M42. They are geared very differently; 1:1 5th instead of 1:1 4th, but they are pretty strong. A g260 will sit about 10 degrees off. It's the same problem that people with a G260 on an M50 have, which is why a lot of M50 swaps use g240s.

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

Working...
            X