318is e36 m42 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

318is e36 m42 swap

Picked up this bad boy for 800 bucks and a day of driving. Thank you craigslist. I had an e36 (94) m42 with 79k miles sitting around that I was planning on putting in my 69 2002 but since progress has kinda been halted on that for now I figured I would put it in this since it wasn't running right and I have no knowledge of maintenance or mileage (odometer stopped at 169k, surprise surprise.) I have already pulled the engine and trans, and am waiting on parts at this point. From what I have read, the easiest way is to swap the head and block and keep everything else, so that's the plan right now. I know I will probably take some heat for keeping it simple instead of an m50 or something, but this is only because I had the engine anyway and it will turn into my daily driver. I'm not very good at remembering to take pictures while I am working, but I'll try to post them as I take them.
    Attached Files
    What it feels like owning an e30:

88 325 S50 swap in progress
    90 325ix

the e36 engine has some nice features that I would consider keeping. the single serpentine belt drive system is cool, also the intake setup on the e36 engine is better than the e30 one. you could run that as well with some slight vacuum hose mods ect.

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
    Ig:ryno_pzk
    I like the tuna here.
    Originally posted by lambo
    Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

No heat here, man. Looking forward to seeing this project develope.

Comment

I am keeping the original intake with the car to make everything simpler and so I can finish it faster. The other engine will eventually probably get rebuilt and will go in the 2002 with the e36 DISA manifold, so it wouldn't be wasted. I am thinking I will put the e36 transmission in as well, partly because I know it will be easier to fit the e30 trans into the 2002, and partly because of the shorter gearing. Highway driving might suck with a 1:1 5th gear and the 4.1 diff, but it would be a lot of fun around town. I know some guys have done the e36 trans swap, so any info about that would be appreciated.

90 325ix

Comment

tranfer everything from your e30 m42 to the e36 motor, only thing thats gonna be unpluged would be the knock sensors which it wont affect you in anyway.

Comment

Thats the plan at this point. Ive been out of town since thursday, so the gaskets I ordered should be there when I get back. I still need to strip the e36 engine down to the block and head when I get back, but I will try to have pictures up once I finally get started again. Also, does anyone have any advice on cleaning the intake manifold out? Is there a better way than some carb cleaner and some scrubbing?

90 325ix

Comment

So I've been busy trying to get my 84 318i in working condition so I can use it as a daily and sell my Sentra SE-R. Haven't had time to do much with the m42s until recently. Took the manifolds off of both, and the lower miles e36 engine had just as much if not more gunk built up. The first picture is the e30 manifold, with over 180k on it. The second is the e36 manifold with 79k on it. Tonight I will hopefully be starting to take everything off the e30 engine and start putting it on the e36 block and head. More updates to come.
              Attached Files

90 325ix

Comment

Looking forward to your new project Jake! Good doing business with you.
                Reminiscing...

Comment

Danny, the only problem is now I need to figure out which car gets what done to it and when. The new plan is to just replace the engine in the one I just got since it will be pretty simple and since it doesn't seem to need as many odds and ends as the white one. Not to mention the fact that the only place I have left to store the new one is parking the old one in. I've given up on posting progress because I either forget to take pictures or my hands are dirty enough I don't want to touch the camera. Whenever I do have some sort of final product though, I'll be sure to post it somewhere on r3v.

90 325ix

Comment

looking for some tips as I plan on doing this this weekend. I have a full e30 m42, and gonna be hopefully putting in a 1993 e36 m42. besides swapping oil pan, intake mani, what else do I need to take from the e30 engine?
                    1991 318is ---230K - DD
                    1991 318i ---- 308K - retired

Originally posted by RickSloan
                    so if you didnt get it like that did you glue fuzzy oil to the entire thing?

Comment

Originally posted by jrobie79 View Post
                      looking for some tips as I plan on doing this this weekend. I have a full e30 m42, and gonna be hopefully putting in a 1993 e36 m42. besides swapping oil pan, intake mani, what else do I need to take from the e30 engine?
                      everything.

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
                      Ig:ryno_pzk
                      I like the tuna here.
                      Originally posted by lambo
                      Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

you need the electrical plug of the E30.I've also switched with the e36 tranny with 4.1 diff but was very very short.Now i'm with original gearbox.I think the best is the e36 gearbox and e36 diff.

Comment

Working...
                        X