318is motor replacemen, what years?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

318is motor replacemen, what years?

Got a 91 318is, havent dug into it yet but it may need a motor, what years of motor are interchangeable and equal? I dont want to go to a lesser motor and i believe in 95 they went to a m44?

Must have the same head too, i found a 93 318is that someone is parting, should i go after that motor or is it different?

The M42 in the E36 has a different intake setup and engine management. If you have an E30, you need an E30 M42 (1990 & 1991 were the only years).

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

well block and head is all that im really concerned about as long as all the sensors are the same, can i just swap the intake over or are there sensors that dont cooperate?

The car has a motor in it but it may have warped the head and ruined the bottom end with coolant.

I believe theres a thread on here with someone using an m44 but i heard the heads flow worse...

Wiring isnt a big deal as long as its possible, i deal with a lot of automotive electronics on a daily basis

Comment

Yeah, you can make it work. The E36 M42 had knock sensors, but you can leave them disconnected. All the other sensors, I believe, are the same.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Working...
        X