M42 Whine issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M42 Whine issues

Just put new Redline fluid in my 4:10 diff and it removed almost all of the annoying whine while driving. All of it except at highway speeds. Anytime I am going 110 or faster it whines (but still not nearly as bad as it use to), is this just normal and to be expected? Is anyone else getting this?
    Last edited by JRYE30; 05-07-2012, 12:53 PM.

1987 325 | @e30_hunter |

Do you have the limited slip diff? Is the fluid you put in formulated for limited slip? Mine doesn't and never has whined. You sure you don't have some tranny whine as well as diff whine?

Comment

Did you pull the cover off the diff when you changed the oil and check out the ring and pinion? Could just be worn gears and/or bearings. They aren't designed to last forever.

Comment

Yes, I put in Redline LSD fluid and yea, I did check the rack and pinion, looked fine to me. But I didn't check the bearings. I guess that would likely be the problem. It's quite high pitched and only happens after 110km/h as I mentioned before.

Although...would the fuel pump be a cause? When I idle now I notice there is also a whine (helps turning off the music haha), it's like a whirring from something spinning. And that whine goes away when I push in the clutch. But then again that could also be something to do with the transmission.

1987 325 | @e30_hunter |

Comment

Throwout bearing, perhaps?

Originally posted by Janderson
          you can have the keys to my hunk of 20+ year old West German steel when you pry them from my cold dead fingers.

Comment

The noise isn't really a high-pitched squeel though, or is a throw-out bearing not always high pitched?

Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated

1987 325 | @e30_hunter |

Comment

Originally posted by vpilarrt View Post
              Do you have the limited slip diff? Is the fluid you put in formulated for limited slip?
              This will give you nasty chatter while cornering under power or during wheel spin rather than high speed whine.

Originally posted by JRYE30 View Post
              I did check the rack and pinion, looked fine to me.

Originally posted by theox69 View Post
              Throwout bearing, perhaps?
              :loco:

My small case 4.27 emits an audible noise at speed using quality fluid and 116k on the ODO. I wouldn't stress over it.

Comment

Maybe check your drive axles, when I experienced whines on my cars one was a drive axle that was essentially separated outboard of the boot (and the boot was still intact) and the other was a wheel bearing.

Comment

Thanks for the advice! Maybe I can make it clearer...

idling...it whines with clutch out (neutral) but when I push in the clutch it disappears (not instantaneous, it almost 'dies' down)

When driving any speed it hums/whirs/whines then when I push in the clutch it dies down until I put it into gear, then it comes back.

Highway speeds...whines very high pitched.

If i cruze at any speed and push in the clutch and rev it whines slightly (this I'm guessing is just engine noise, not my issue)

Hopefully this helps out :)

Thanks again for all the input

1987 325 | @e30_hunter |

Comment

Originally posted by JRYE30 View Post
                    Thanks for the advice! Maybe I can make it clearer...

idling...it whines with clutch out (neutral) but when I push in the clutch it disappears (not instantaneous, it almost 'dies' down)

When driving any speed it hums/whirs/whines then when I push in the clutch it dies down until I put it into gear, then it comes back.

Highway speeds...whines very high pitched.

If i cruze at any speed and push in the clutch and rev it whines slightly (this I'm guessing is just engine noise, not my issue)

Hopefully this helps out :)

Thanks again for all the input
                    Wait. When you say idling, do you mean the car is stopped or rolling?

Comment

Yes, standing still idling. In my driveway. Is this fuel pump related?

1987 325 | @e30_hunter |

Comment

Well definitely not differential related. Sounds possibly clutch or transmission related.

This clip is from a mustang, but just wondering if this is what it sounds like?

Last edited by Marauder42; 05-07-2012, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Yea, ill change the title, probably not my diff at all

1987 325 | @e30_hunter |

Comment

Yeah I just wrote an article on "signs your clutch is going out"

A whining or squealing sounds that comes/goes when the clutch pedal is pushed in is probably your clutch man.
                            Different strokes for different folks.

Comment

No, it doesn't sound like that video. And it goes away with pushing in the clutch. More of a 'winding' up and 'winding down' it doesnt instantly stop when the slutch gets pushed in

1987 325 | @e30_hunter |

Comment

Working...
                              X