• Show
Clear All

excited
    Originally posted by bmwm42
    PNW vulture pm me for parts
    Strategic nw e30 command

Comment

M42 is in the parts car...
      starting to figure out turbo placement...I need to get some pipe to make the collector before I actually set it in it's final spot.

Coils will have to move to the battery tray or a coil on plug conversion.
      pictures

I have to pull out an old AC line so I can make sure the downpipe and outlet clears that. Turbo might have to move a bit so that will clear.

If anyone have a really good picture of that area that would be helpful.

Starting to set the intercooler in there... I am going to make the mounts adjustable so those that are running AC can slide it out a little bit. The stock AC pusher fan will not fit. You will need to use something a bit slimmer. People that are not running AC can push it up closer to the radiator.

www.classicdaily.net
      1970 m42 swapped 2002
      1985 LS1/T56 Swapped e28 (557e)

www.blunttech.com - For all your parts needs

Follow me on Instagram for constant build updates @classicdaily
      https://www.facebook.com/ClassicDailyLLC

Comment

Great progress
        Originally posted by bmwm42
        PNW vulture pm me for parts
        Strategic nw e30 command

Comment

Originally posted by jakeb View Post
          If anyone have a really good picture of that area that would be helpful.

-----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

just want you to know i'm busting my balls finding my next startup gig so i can buy this from you when ready.

is that wastegate housing the one from ATP? this thing: http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant...de=ATP-WGT-023
            past:
            1989 325is (learner shitbox)
            1986 325e (turbo dorito)
            1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
            1985 323i baur
            current:
            1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

Thanks for the pics that helps! No the wastegate housing it what came with this turbo.

I wasn't able to find my old AC lines...might have tossed them. But I will keep looking.... Also by keeping the turbo close to the engine it will give room for the AC lines. Might be a good idea to wrap the lines.

A little more done....
              Intercooler mounted (mount is temp...other mount below.)

The charge pipes will go under the high beams. Brackets will need to be cut slightly.

Haven't tested it yet but this is the intercooler mounts. Slotted so it can be moved in and out depending on if you want to keep AC or not.

upper bracket

Bracket will bolt under where the bumper mounts too...

The two closer holes

Debating where to put the AFM....let me know if you guys have a preference. I would rather put it on the passenger side as it makes packaging a bit nicer. I would include an extension in the kit.

Somewhere over here..

Or maybe not even that deep in there....just straight off the turbo with a small air cleaner right behind the high beam. Could always pull the high beam for more air flow.

Otherwise it can come across the engine and be in about the same location as stock....
              Over here...

How the downpipe will go......Vband at the turbo...2.5" down with a mandrel 90 and another mandrel 90 under the car. Would you all rather have a wide band bung up top or down below?
              www.classicdaily.net
              1970 m42 swapped 2002

Comment

Looking good. Can't wait to have the funds for this
                DENY IGNORANCE!
                Schwarz 325-totaled
                brilliantrot 318i-daily

Originally posted by mkcman17
                don't think your hamster wheels are fast now. you will still have to give up when trying to pass that V6 odyssey to make your offramp.

Comment

The wideband bung should be welded ~16 inches from the turbo depending on which wideband you have...

The kit is looking great! I am planning on the same intercooler mounting for my turbo car (looks like the same intercooler as well!)

Comment

Originally posted by dk View Post
                    just want you to know i'm busting my balls finding my next startup gig so i can buy this from you when ready.
                    Seriously. I've been applying for jobs mainly with this turbo setup in mind.

Progress is looking good btw.
                    The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
                    Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
                    2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
                    2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

looks good. watch your hood to compressor housing clearance. it gets REAL tight in there REAL quick

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
                      Ig:ryno_pzk
                      I like the tuna here.
                      Originally posted by lambo
                      Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

I am keeping the turbo as low as possible.

Intercooler mounted...the brackets need to change slightly but work as it is now. Just want to make it a bit cleaner.

How the bottom bracket mounts...there will be two bolts but this was just for testing.

Upper bracket

Coming off the intercooler..

Other side... pipe connected is just got mock up. Something I had laying around. Finished product with be mandrel bent

up to the throttle body

Downpipe will clear the AC hard line

Start of the collector...this is a 4-1...we wil see if it fits. Might have to be a 2-1 and cylinders 1-3 and 2-4 combine pre collector.

Start with four pieces of pipe

Spends a little time on the band saw

Cleaned up on the belt sander

4 pipes all cut...insides still need to be deburred.

Then all together...just holding with my hand, not welded yet.

www.classicdaily.net
                        1970 m42 swapped 2002

Comment

questions:

AFM will be draw-through either way, right? i was looking at space constraints and tiny filters too; was hoping to squeeze turbo coupler + AFM + mushroom filter behind a deleted highbeam.

the one thing that concerns me about this: https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-k...BC077F1AFC.JPG is the AFM is supposed to be level- the spring that holds the door closed is calibrated for that. if you tilt the inlet either up/down you'll have gravity either assisting, or in this case, resisting the door opening, and you'll be leaner than you should be in closed-loop... the manifold i've already got had similar space concerns (major difference is it has turbo axis parallel with engine, rather than angled so downpipe clears strut tower like you have it).

when you ask about the placement of the wideband bung- first off, yeah, put it down low plz. since you're calling it the "wideband bung"- hopefully that means you're providing for both wideband and factory narrowband?
                          past:
                          1989 325is (learner shitbox)
                          1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                          1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                          1985 323i baur
                          current:
                          1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

Yes it would be draw through either way. I will see about mounting the AFM flat....Maybe just a 90 degree off the turbo and have it mount right behind the headlights with a small filter. Or if someone wanted there could be a bend and the filter down behind the valance.

Yes there would be two bungs...one for a wideband and one for the stock narrowband sensor.
                            www.classicdaily.net
                            1970 m42 swapped 2002

Comment

I do have a jig already to put the turbo here.....this is the placement on the e21 manifold I made. Oil feed would be a banjo fitting to save space. That is actually what we switched to on this e21.

Might tack up a manifold based off that and see how things fit. Might give more room to not have to move the washer fluid tank. This manifold does not allow for a 4-1 collector. More of a 4-2-1 setup.
                              www.classicdaily.net
                              1970 m42 swapped 2002

Comment

I snagged a spare washer tank from my buddy....the e30 washer tank will not fit with the turbo there.

e21 or a 2002 washer bottle might fit tho. For sure the 2002 would but you would need to make a bracket to hold it. I am going to see about getting an e21 bottle to try.
                                www.classicdaily.net
                                1970 m42 swapped 2002

Comment

Working...
                                X