Interest in Bolt on Turbo kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bmwm42 View Post
    toes do me a favor for my sanity and leave the one thing i cherish more than anything alone the m42, you retardedness has no business in the section k thanks bye
    :rofl: I'm sorry but this is funny :rofl:

-NICK

Comment

Originally posted by 5Toes View Post
      How does it work? Why is the AFM on the turbo intake? How does air get into the intake, I am confused.

Sorry for dumb questions
      you dont even have an m42...

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
      Ig:ryno_pzk
      I like the tuna here.
      Originally posted by lambo
      Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

I'm very interested in this.

Comment

Im just curious to learn..

Comment

I don't see what's wrong with him asking. I may be wrong but I believe that it's to measure the air flow into the engine for AFR and such, just like a stock m42. The air sucked in by the turbo is the same air that goes into the intake, so it shouldn't really matter where it is.
            The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
            Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
            2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
            2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

^ correct. it doesnt matter where you meter the air. It can be plumbed in anywhere. In some cases a MAF or AFM will be inserted somewhere closer to the intercooler to hide it away and keep the engine bay looking clean.

I like the tuna here.

Comment

Question for the OP: how expandable is this kit? For example, if one installs it and runs at 9psi for a while, then upgrades to an MLS gasket and ARP studs and wants to run a few more psi, can we just tune the wastgate on the turbo and get a chip from you tuned to a higher PSI? Or at that point would we be looking at standalone engine management?

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
                2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

Originally posted by Vivek View Post
                  ^Same. It'll probably decide whether I go with an m50 or turbo my m42.
                  Originally posted by isthistherealcaesarspalace View Post
                  definitely rather have a turbo m42 then a swapped m50 count me in on a sale!
                  An s50 or s52 or any other swap.... that's a different story. But an m50 would make approximately same power, and you still get the light m42 goodness :up:

Comment

Originally posted by eur04lif3 View Post
                    An s50 or s52 or any other swap.... that's a different story. But an m50 would make approximately same power, and you still get the light m42 goodness :up:
                    debatable. A well sorted m42 making just under a bar of boost will shit on a stock s5x all day long.

I like the tuna here.

Comment

Originally posted by Dj Buttchug View Post
                      debatable. A well sorted m42 making just under a bar of boost will shit on a stock s5x all day long.
                      Cant argue, since I haven't done neither of them.

Would price wise be even? Could you get an s52(240hp) swapped into an e30 for the same $ that you would build a m42 to reach 240hp?
                      The obvious disadvantage is weight of course.

Sorry OP for thread jacking. Still interested to see where this idea goes.

Comment

Originally posted by eur04lif3 View Post
                        Cant argue, since I haven't done neither of them.

Would price wise be even? Could you get an s52(240hp) swapped into an e30 for the same $ that you would build a m42 to reach 240hp?
                        The obvious disadvantage is weight of course.

Sorry OP for thread jacking. Still interested to see where this idea goes.

Price is the determining factor. Not sure of the prices on s5x swaps these days but with 2 grand you can do alot m42 turbo wise. thats m5x swap money territory.

DTM in vista CA did a bone stock refreshed m42 on 14psi. It made close to 250 wheel hp.

I like the tuna here.

Comment

Still planning to offer these kits...just need to finish Blunt's e12 before I move ahead with complete pricing and a time table.

Here are a few answers...

The reason the AFM is pulling air is becasue that is how the AFM was designed. It was not made to see positive pressure. People have done m42 turbos on stock efi with a blow through AFM but I feel it isn't the best route. But as it was said above...metering air is metering air for the most part. The motronic on the m42 uses load vs rpm tables for the most part. There are other tables that can adjust fuel based on different conditions, coolant temp, etc etc but for the most part it is load (from AFM) vs RPM. Unless you are in the WOT table and then it is just RPM based.

As to expandability of the kit. Yes you could up the boost and I can adjust your tune but you will need to get me some feedback and to where your AFR is sitting so I can adjust as needed. My buddy with the e21 actually had an issue and was boosting to 14psi...while AFRs were not perfect they were not dangerously lean. So with that said you could up the boost and might not need to change anything with the tune....or engine for that matter. But for the sake of this kit and reliablity it will come built and tuned for 9psi.

ARP studs and a stock gasket with good tuning should be good for 15psi. I am not a huge fan of MLS gaskets. I had one on a turbo M10 I built years old and it leaked.... Stock gasket on and no leaks.
                          www.classicdaily.net
                          1970 m42 swapped 2002
                          1985 LS1/T56 Swapped e28 (557e)

www.blunttech.com - For all your parts needs

Follow me on Instagram for constant build updates @classicdaily
                          https://www.facebook.com/ClassicDailyLLC

Comment

Originally posted by jakeb View Post
                            As to expandability of the kit. Yes you could up the boost and I can adjust your tune but you will need to get me some feedback and to where your AFR is sitting so I can adjust as needed. My buddy with the e21 actually had an issue and was boosting to 14psi...while AFRs were not perfect they were not dangerously lean. So with that said you could up the boost and might not need to change anything with the tune....or engine for that matter. But for the sake of this kit and reliablity it will come built and tuned for 9psi.
                            That's good to know. The biggest drawback I can see from a kit like this is not being able to expand upon it, but if it can go with upgraded parts to higher PSI on the same exact kit that's valuable to me (and i'm sure many others as well).

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
                            2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

this looks like a vary good kit. what if we have most of the parts to boost a m42, can we just buy the tune from you?

Comment

Yes you can buy just the tune but you will have to have a VERY close kit or a way to log data so I can adjust.

Send me a PM if you are interested
                                www.classicdaily.net
                                1970 m42 swapped 2002
                                1985 LS1/T56 Swapped e28 (557e)

www.blunttech.com - For all your parts needs

Follow me on Instagram for constant build updates @classicdaily
                                https://www.facebook.com/ClassicDailyLLC

Comment

Working...
                                X