M42 runs terrible on warm start up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M42 runs terrible on warm start up

I'm having this problem that just came up recently, when it's warm (well it seems to be any temperature really), it will ALWAYS on start up run like SHIT. It will barely idle (idle is at around 200rpm, stumbling greatly), sometimes shut off, if I give it gas it won't be responsive, the more I give the more it'll bog down, I have to play with the throttle to get going anywhere, and then out of nowhere it'll go away in about 2 minutes or so. Once it goes away and the car is fine, if I shut it off and start it back up it'll do it again. It feels like it's running on 2 cylinders.

Thoughts?
    Originally posted by TSI
    ♫ Rust flecks are falling on my head...♫
    OEM+

Have you tried changing out that IAC I put in yet? :/

Keep meaning to ship out spare TPS, can never get to post office.
    1985 325e M50TU(Sold)
    1991 318is Slicktop (Sold)
    1990 325is Brilliantrot S50/5 Lug Swapped.
    1992 525i Manual shitbox Winter Beater

Comment

compression test. also, after it clears up does it run just fine?

Comment

I have the same problem with mine. I have tried replacing the ICV and TPS. No luck yet.
        1991 318i - Ground Control, 4.10 Limited Slip, Dinan Chip, Sport Interior - Daily Driver and Track Toy - Sold

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Limited

2006 Subaru Outback 2.5i

Comment

I've had the same problem, although somewhat more intermittently than you. I'd love to know if there's a solution.
          1991 318i SOLD
          2003 325i SOLD

Racecars and stuff.

Comment

it has nothing to do with compression, nor does it have anything to do with ICV.
            OP ohm out your coolant temp sensor, cam sensor and crank sensor and see what you get.

theres also a chance you could have a a FPR problem. check that as well

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
            Ig:ryno_pzk
            I like the tuna here.
            Originally posted by lambo
            Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Need to ck fuel pressure, after u shut it off, sounds like the ck valve at fuel pump isn't holding pressure at the fuel rail.

Comment

had a similar experience these past couple months. Bought a new VDO pump that was apparently defective. Pressure is a little off and the check valve doesnt function. Make sure its not the pump by clamping the fuel line in various places. Also could be a stuck injector.

Comment

Working...
                X