Annoying engine noise.(first post)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Annoying engine noise.(first post)

Hey first post on r3v, been lurking for a while now but thought I might as well make an account. I need some help diagnosing a noise im getting. I've removed all the belts and fan clutch and ran the engine and the noise persists... So before I start tearing stuff apart and spending money I was wondering if I could get a little insight. Basically, for back of a better way, the noise is like a rapid tss tss tss tss tss coming from the front of the engine. It is rpm related, as in it goes faster when the rpms increase. So after taking off the fan clutch, I guess the next thing could be the water pump bearing?

Likely it's your timing chain. Could be as simple as a bad tensioner, or it could be as bad as all your chain guides/ sprockets are worn and everything needs to be replaced.

M42s are know for having timing chain problems. Only way to really know is pull it apart and have a look.

Comment

Yea I guess I'll have to take a look. No ticking though. :/

Comment

That is most likely something timing chain-related. Does it sound like a metallic buzzing / like sheet metal vibrating? Do not let this go for long or you will end up with an expensive paperweight for an engine. Been there, done that myself. Start making preparations to pull the timing covers off and replace things. Life is easier if this isn't your primary vehicle since you can get in there and order what you need after an inspection. Otherwise, basically plan on replacing everything. The latter option is more desirable anyway IMO since you'll probably never need to worry about it again if you do that.

Also think about swapping in an M44 timing case, if you really want to get your hands dirty. It eliminates a costly, unreliable component of the timing assembly (idler sprocket) that has caused many an M42 owner much grief!

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Post a video or a sound clip. It will be much easier to provide sufficient advise.

Comment

Tried to get a video of it a few times now, couldn't really isolate the noise. The noise is super prevalent when im driving past a wall or something up close to bounce the sound back. It really doesnt sound metallic, sounds much more like a belt making noise. Just looked through my service records and it looks like the PO had the tensioner replaced at the stealership about 17k miles ago.

Comment

tss-tss-tss - could be just noisy injectors. I started having similar sound after replacing m42 injectors with 24lb injectors from Lincoln. I still have several injector sets left after grabbing them from the junk yard in the summer.

I'd say if the car drives fine, then do not worry about it, unless it becomes worise, like changed sound pitch or excessive noise....M42 are noisy engines afterall.

Comment

Originally posted by mr ilia View Post
                tss-tss-tss - could be just noisy injectors. I started having similar sound after replacing m42 injectors with 24lb injectors from Lincoln. I still have several injector sets left after grabbing them from the junk yard in the summer.

I'd say if the car drives fine, then do not worry about it, unless it becomes worise, like changed sound pitch or excessive noise....M42 are noisy engines afterall.

Yea the car drives fine, no issues really. Just sounds a little bit ghetto sometimes. I'd say the tss tss is about twice per second, its not really fast. What else could make a noise like that? I've ruled out fan clutch, alternator, power steering pump, and ac.

Comment

Do nothing, continue driving and keep observing the sound/noise.

Comment

Working...
                  X