No announcement yet.

recommended oil for 75k M42?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I actually run Rotella T 5w40 synthetic...the BMW dealer recommended it where I lived and a reputable Euro shop that's done work on my car before I owned it and on various other of my friends Bimmers/M cars recommended the same.

Since my odometer and trip don't work, I use my service interval lights! Lol, not sure how many miles that's set to but it seems to work with a half quart top off about halfway in between intervals
    1991 318is - Daily/weekend track car.

An on-ramp is a terrible thing to waste...

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
      Doesn't the manual basically spec 20w-50 for the entire set of operating the car is likely to encounter outside of a desert or the arctic circle? Either way I run 10w-40, 20w-50, or sometimes a mix of the two, and really only base my choices on what decent full synthetic oils are on sale.

I have also noticed when I the dipstick shows about ~.4qt low if I add more I just end up not having it at the end of the week. Whereas if I leave it ~.4qt low on the stick I burn essentially none on a 250k+ mile bottom end with a replaced head with 20k on a rebuild, and I don't drive the car gently.
      Yes, according to the chart 20w-40/50 cover a fairly wide range of temps but more on the warmer side of the scale.
      Wheelwell

Shadowline Motorsport: LED & 3D Printed Accessories - 10% off for new customers!
      LED Bulb Thread
      R6 LED Review

Comment

Originally posted by InNeedOfBoost View Post
        I actually run Rotella T 5w40 synthetic...the BMW dealer recommended it where I lived and a reputable Euro shop that's done work on my car before I owned it and on various other of my friends Bimmers/M cars recommended the same.

Since my odometer and trip don't work, I use my service interval lights! Lol, not sure how many miles that's set to but it seems to work with a half quart top off about halfway in between intervals
        This could be fine, but I'd say 5-50 could be better if that exists. Because the lighter cold weight could help with valvetrain wear upon startup and within the first few minutes, and the 50 warm weight is the correct weight, so it shouldn't burn too much. Is this logic at least slightly correct?
        The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
        Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
        2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
        2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

Originally posted by InNeedOfBoost View Post

I'm using the same and have notice very little loss/burn (after I tightened/replaced the oil pan bolts).

Comment

Rotella T6 for mine...
            Stage rally/rallycross e30 build/competition journal
            Track/street e21 build
            visit Condor Speed Shop
            visit Motorsport Hardware

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

Working...
            X