No announcement yet.

a bit of clarification on M20 flywheel/clutch conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m not to sure on the condition of the pivot pit. I do know it is there tho as i pulled the gearbox out again as i forgot to put a little grease on the top of the pin. Is there anyway to align the clutch pedal with the brake pedal as the clutch pedal sits a little higher than the Break. I should know this, but I have had the car of the road for 6 months and totally forgot 😭

i guess taking the car for a drive and using the clutch and i would also see some improvement?

Comment

So since I started this thread in the first place, I though I'd update it:

I ran the M20 FW, M20 starter, M20 clutch, M42 spacer, G240, and 323i TOB for 5+ years with no issues behind my M42

Now I run the identical setup behind an M50 with the G240 (which incidentally is a direct fit to the M50)

I am about to swap in a G250 and plan to use the same setup once again, but may just use a regular 325i TOB since they're half the price of the e21 stuff.

Also, I have the Condor brass pivot ball, FWIW.

All of this is on a competition stage rally car, so it definitely takes some punishment :)
      Stage rally/rallycross e30 build/competition journal
      Track/street e21 build
      visit Condor Speed Shop
      visit Motorsport Hardware

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

Nice update, when you do the 250 swap please do compare the TOBs again, just to see if anything important has changed with revisions over time.

Comment

Irish44. I had the following done m42 m20 FW, lightens to 17lbs, m20 clutch kit, 240 trans. now sure on the spacer use but i can ask. Rubber engine mounts added by the mechanic poly trans and diff bushings, all suspension bushings poly, The vibration on idle up to 4 k is excessive. more than my m20 car with all poly. loud buzzing from the drive train undecereration with a load. I had the m42 swapped in m50 out. the m50 had almost no vibration and zero buzzing under deceleration. Its so excessive i can't hear the engine running while driving the LA freeways. Can you describe how much vibration with the m20 flywheel i should expect.

Comment

Originally posted by OSAH racing View Post
            Irish44. I had the following done m42 m20 FW, lightens to 17lbs, m20 clutch kit, 240 trans. now sure on the spacer use but i can ask. Rubber engine mounts added by the mechanic poly trans and diff bushings, all suspension bushings poly, The vibration on idle up to 4 k is excessive. more than my m20 car with all poly. loud buzzing from the drive train undecereration with a load. I had the m42 swapped in m50 out. the m50 had almost no vibration and zero buzzing under deceleration. Its so excessive i can't hear the engine running while driving the LA freeways. Can you describe how much vibration with the m20 flywheel i should expect.
            I tried rubber engine mounts in my m42 and QUICKLY went back to liquid-filled. The added vibration and noise was pretty extreme. Rubber mounts work fine on a inline 6, but not on a 4-cylinder without balance shafts.

Comment

Originally posted by Victell View Post

I tried rubber engine mounts in my m42 and QUICKLY went back to liquid-filled. The added vibration and noise was pretty extreme. Rubber mounts work fine on a inline 6, but not on a 4-cylinder without balance shafts.
              I can tell this little 4 banger engine is buzzy. The Mechanic's advice is to use only the dual mass flywheels with the m42. I am trying to decide (guess at this point) if all rubber on the drive train would improve this more than all poly. I don't want to give up on the m20 flywheel and I am not changing my suspension bushings back to rubber. what bushings were you satisfied with at the trans and differential which the liquid filled engine mounts?

Comment

Working...
              X