replacing oil housing gasket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

replacing oil housing gasket?

how do I get to it? looks like a pain in the ass to remove the alternator, bracket etc...
    Renting my rear wheel bearing tool kit. SIR
    http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c5...ps6debf0b0.jpg

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Removing the alt is not a big deal. I think this job took about an hour from start to finish. Make sure you replace the rubber o-ring in the oil filter housing while you're doing the gasket. If it is original it will be hard as a rock.
    sigpic

Comment

It isn't too bad to replace.

Do NOT just use the paper gasket, though. Get some Permatex Ultra Grey silicone RTV. Clean the filter housing and timing case gasket surfaces with some alcohol to get all of the oil off. Then apply a small amount of the RTV to both of these surfaces and spread it into a THIN coat with a finger. I also recommend putting a small amount of silicone dielectric grease onto the rubber O-ring so that it will slide in easier. Also clean out the circular port in the timing case, and do not get ANY dirt in there or it may end up in a main bearing.

Put the gasket onto the timing case, align it and then carefully put the filter housing on, using the circular oil outlet to get things aligned. Push it on firmly, and don't twist it or the RTV will get messed up. Slowly tighten down the screws from the middle and then out to the corners, 1/4 turn each at a time alternating until they are all tight. This will ensure that the RTV squishes evenly. If you just fully tighten one down and then the others, it'll probably bend & crack the filter housing. RTV does require this whereas a plain paper gasket does not so much. Let it sit for 24 hours so that the RTV can cure before being put under pressure.

Key note: Do NOT get ANY RTV in, around or near the circular thing. That is the clean oil outlet, and if RTV gets in there it could end up in the engine. Metric Mechanic told me that a customer once got a big blob of it in there by accident, and that it made it into a lifter port, causing the lifter to not function. Be very careful and check everything twice before assembly!

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

why dont you advise permatex rtv with the paper gasket?

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Sorry, that is what I was recommending. You could also just run plain RTV and it would probably be fine, too.

Comment

i guess i was thinking paper gasket along with a tiny bit of rtv to cover up imperfections in surface

Comment

That's what I did. A plain paper gasket WILL leak, guaranteed.

Comment

Working...
              X