No announcement yet.

pros and cons to the E30 310iS M42

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

awesome thank you so much ill take advantage of my local pick n pull lol they have about 8 so i am in no short supply of E30 parts they have only 325i and e im happy to not see any 318i in there.
    Float like a cadillac sting like a Bimmer!:)

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Titan_Omega View Post
      from what I reading i can pull the 4.10 LSD out of a 325i Auto and throw it in the 318iS. correct me if im wrong.
      yes you can.

Comment

i always miss my 318is. Its really a whole different car then a 325is. The little r3v happy engine makes a huge difference. Not quick by any means , but reliable and great gas mileage.

A higher mileage M42 will be a ticking time bomb tho. The chain system cant be neglected. Only thing I like more about the M20 is that you can change the belt and be worry free for 60k more miles.

Id love to get a M42, do all the chain crap and preventive crap and swap it into my 325is.
        1985 325e M50TU(Sold)
        1991 318is Slicktop (Sold)
        1990 325is Brilliantrot S50/5 Lug Swapped.
        1992 525i Manual shitbox Winter Beater

Comment

Originally posted by TimKninja View Post
          Id love to get a M42, do all the chain crap and preventive crap and swap it into my 325is.
          This is what more E30 owners need to be thinking, of course N20 OTOH is a way better route, that is if you can nick and chop an F30/X3/128.

Comment

Originally posted by TimKninja View Post
            Id love to get a M42, ..... swap it into my 325is.
            And the experience still won't be the same.

Part of the 318is lightness / rawness / balance experience comes from lighter carpeting, less sound deadening in cabin and trunk, less electrical, and lighter mechanicals in the form of a smaller transmission, smaller diff, smaller fuel tank, and manual-only sunroof. This unique combination is not even found in the NA E30 M3 where it is (relatively) a heavy pig, being so well equipped.

All these together are part of what makes the 318is a 2600 lb car, vs the 325is a 2800 lb car, aside from having an obviously lighter engine.

Simply putting the engine in a 325is will just make it drive like a more anemic 325is.

Comment

So from what i understand the M42 is a pretty solid engine keep up with the timing chain and regular maintenance will keep it solid. Other than removing the AC and PS what else would you recommend i do to shed some weight. Keep in mind the car will be more of a daily driver for now. I don't mind replacing parts with lighter ones.

sigpic

Comment

So from what i understand the M42 is a pretty solid engine keep up with the timing chain and regular maintenance will keep it solid. Other than removing the AC and PS what else would you recommend i do to shed some weight. Keep in mind the car will be more of a daily driver for now. I don't mind replacing parts with lighter ones.
                Maintain it drive it, if you need more power chip it, but for goodness sakes don't be a Civic kid and strip the interior, AC/PS, sound insulation and other useful components on a daily.

Comment

Other than removing the AC and PS what else would you recommend i do to shed some weight.
                  You could leave the spare tire, jack, lug wrench at home...fill the fuel tank no more than 1/2 full, Drive solo and go on a diet?
                  I like mine allot. I think it is lighter/peppier than my moderately modified 93 Toyota 2WD truck.

Stan
                  Last edited by The White Guy; 01-14-2013, 06:24 PM. Reason: Grammer

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
                    Maintain it drive it, if you need more power chip it, but for goodness sakes don't be a Civic kid and strip the interior, AC/PS, sound insulation and other useful components on a daily.
                    I dont plan on losing the interior or anything a few people suggested removing the AC and PS but i dont think ill do either of those cause i like to stay cool in the summer.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by WhatWentWong View Post

All these together are part of what makes the 318is a 2600 lb car, vs the 325is a 2800 lb car, aside from having an obviously lighter engine.

My originally M10-powered early 318i was 2450lbs stock curb weight! Now it has interior delete, AC delete, backseat delete, power everything delete, sunroof delete, and other lightening. I'm estimating it's around 2300lbs right now, even with a rollbar in it (will get it on the scales this summer).

Oh, and it has a JC chipped M42 in it now :)
                      Stage rally/rallycross e30 build/competition journal
                      Track/street e21 build
                      visit Condor Speed Shop
                      visit Motorsport Hardware

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

an all stock 2nd gen rx7 turbo is not fast. nor is the e30. but i did pull on it. but u never know if the other driver can actually drive.

Comment

Originally posted by WhatWentWong View Post
                          And the experience still won't be the same.

Part of the 318is lightness / rawness / balance experience comes from lighter carpeting, less sound deadening in cabin and trunk, less electrical, and lighter mechanicals in the form of a smaller transmission, smaller diff, smaller fuel tank, and manual-only sunroof. This unique combination is not even found in the NA E30 M3 where it is (relatively) a heavy pig, being so well equipped.

Simply putting the engine in a 325is will just make it drive like a more anemic 325is.
                          this is the stupidest post i have ever read. go home. you are drunk

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
                          Ig:ryno_pzk
                          I like the tuna here.
                          Originally posted by lambo
                          Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Working...
                          X