Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FPR Removal

Am I missing something?

Swapping in a new FPR right now. I have the fuel rail completely off and the old FPR is stuck in there like glue. Any trick to this? I dug between the FRP lip and the fuel rail to try and pry it out but only ended up bending the fuel rail....
    Different strokes for different folks.

if i remember right you just pull like a bastard.

Theres a v band type clamp on the top. have you taken that off? Sorry, im unsure if its stuck at the inlet or outlet

Comment

Pretty much pull and twist. There is nothing retaining it except its seal IIRC. It's a pain, but you will get it.

Comment

Spray the area where the o-ring is with PBlaster or Kroil and let it penetrate for 24 or more hours. The remove the FPR with a pulling/twisting motion.
        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

The pull and twist and not getting much anywhere so I managed to wedge a screwdriver under each side and finally got it loose.

And of course now that everything is back together, she has a rough idle..

I ordered an FPR that looked like this

and got one that looks like this

The blue pieces are plastic and I thought they were packaging, but it leaked with them off so I put the lower ring blue piece back on because it seemed kind of like it should be there....

Are both of those pieces meant to stay on?

I have the other one, just not looking forward to doing this all over haha

Comment

It appears that the plastic is supposed to be there. I assume it allows the mfr to make FPRs for varied applications while making only one diaphragm unit.

If you just put it in there it (hopefully) shouldn't be too bad to take back out.

Comment

BTW, you can remove this without taking the fuel rail off.

Comment

Yeah it has a rough idle and is throwing a 1222 consistently, it was very likely meant to be there... I'll throw it in after work and hope I didn't muck it up...

When I first looked at the FPR it didn't look like it would be easy to take off without removing the upper intake, and my old FPR was jammed so tight in there I don't know if I would've been able to take it off without removing the rail.

At least I know how easy changing fuel injectors is now :D, and how dirty my engine is...

Comment

I just did this 2 days ago. You can remove it with everything still on the car. As per factory manual, just remove the hoist plate in front. Mine was the original one and 22 years old. I use two small flat head screwdrivers to pry it out. Mine came with the blue plastic and I kept them on after comparing the height of the old and new FPR.

If you have a bad idle, you probably have an intake leak somewhere. Maybe a gasket got kinked in the process if you have to remove the upper and lower intakes plus the rubber elbow.
                  Alex 88 m5 | 91 318is | 19 Subaru Ascent
                  BMW Tool Rentals & Fender Roller

Comment

I put the piece back on a little bit ago and went for a drive. Rough idle is still there. What's weird is that the rough idle was not before changing the fpr...

What did I fuck up T____T

When re-installing the fuel injectors should they "pop" into place, because they slid in pretty easily?

Comment

are you sure you didn't mar any of the oring sealing surfaces when you were prying it up?

-NICK

Comment

If all was ok before swap, I would check everything you removed to make sure nothing is loose or a gasket got damaged.
                        Alex 88 m5 | 91 318is | 19 Subaru Ascent
                        BMW Tool Rentals & Fender Roller

Comment

The part of the fuel rail where it goes in didn't get messed up very much and definitely not where the o-ring seals.

Yep when I have a chance I'll check her over... I at least think the new FPR fixed the problem I've been having since I bought the car. We'll see.

Comment

Working...
                          X