Opinions needed on M20 radiator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions needed on M20 radiator

Okay so the PO had an m20 radiator installed and the fan removed. With the m20 radiator being a bit larger than the m42 one, he said that it will be sufficient at keeping the engine cool w/o needing a fan.

He hasn't had issues w/ overheating and I haven't either but it was winter and just now spring so it's too cold to tell. Take in mind summer here in Washington is anywhere from 70-90 degrees. Won't take many long trips with it throughout the year, furthest would be 3hrs to e30 picnic in Seattle.

I'm curious as to whether it will be fine just with the larger radiator or if it needs a fan. PO knows a lot about m42s so I trust him but I wanted a second opinion.
    '84 Alpine 325e (Gone)
    '91 Alpine 318i (Gone) Click Here
    '92 Alpine 325i Cabrio (Gone) Click Here
    '91 Alpine 318is

Does it still have the aux fan in front of the rad?

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post
      Does it still have the aux fan in front of the rad?
      Ya he installed it with an auxiliary fan
      '84 Alpine 325e (Gone)
      '91 Alpine 318is

Comment

That means the engine still has a fan, just no mechanically operated fan. You'll be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post
          That means the engine still has a fan, just no mechanically operated fan. You'll be fine.
          Ok good to know. Thanks man! It's nice having that extra work for work
          '84 Alpine 325e (Gone)
          '91 Alpine 318is

Comment

The better question is does the aux fan work? You should test it when the car is warm, then at idle turn on the A/C, and the fan should come on. If not, replace with a Volvo fan or similar for peace of mind.

Comment

Working...
            X