M42 motor mount options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by S62 View Post
    I wouldn't go with poly mounts. I have heard that that they don't with stand heat very well, causing them to fail in only a couple of years.
    has not been true of my vorshlag mounts, but they do have quite a bit of NVH and they are $$$
    past:
    1989 325is (learner shitbox)
    1986 325e (turbo dorito)
    1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
    1985 323i baur
    current:
    1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

I would suggest staying OEM mounts. The stock sub frame is known for breaking at the motor mount point so i wouldn't suggest a stiffer mount, especially if you are daily driving it, no matter how manly man you are it will be noticeable if not comfort wise noise and rattle wise..

The only other parts I would recommend are buying rock auto mounts. I had a pair and it wasn't so bad. I switched to OEM for piece of mind and because for some reason the mounts sold by them are kind of backwards and need to be modified a bit to fit. See link here (http://www.m42club.com/forum/index.php?topic=15004.0)

FYI I have a giftcard that would cover the cost of the motor mounts that i don't need at the moment, i would like to recoup it before it expires, let me know if you'd like to buy it for a discount.

jou ma se poes in 'n fishpaste jar.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Transaction Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by thebutcher37 View Post
        I would suggest staying OEM mounts. The stock sub frame is known for breaking at the motor mount point so i wouldn't suggest a stiffer mount, especially if you are daily driving it, no matter how manly man you are it will be noticeable if not comfort wise noise and rattle wise..

The only other parts I would recommend are buying rock auto mounts. I had a pair and it wasn't so bad. I switched to OEM for piece of mind and because for some reason the mounts sold by them are kind of backwards and need to be modified a bit to fit. See link here (http://www.m42club.com/forum/index.php?topic=15004.0)
        Seconded, for the street nothing is better that the stock hydraulic mounts, and if you are on a tight budget rockauto is the only reasonable place to get them.

Further, the stock mounts are very durable, with the unknown age ones lasting more than 60 track hours last season without a failure or any noticeable deterioration. We have since replaced them with E28 mounts for peace of mind, and we want to reinforce the subframe to cope with the new mounts, but just didn't get to it before the previous race.

Comment

Originally posted by thebutcher37 View Post

FYI I have a giftcard that would cover the cost of the motor mounts that i don't need at the moment, i would like to recoup it before it expires, let me know if you'd like to buy it for a discount.

Shoot, never realized the little tab difference. I' look it up more. Thanks for the info

Comment

Working...
          X