Paper gaskets? or the right stuff?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paper gaskets? or the right stuff?

So my Dad and I got into an arguement. He is traditional and says that paper gaskets that are cut out for you car are better then that gasket maker crap I bought. "The right stuff"

So I am soon going to reassemble all the components back into my m42 engine and I do have numerous gaskets. Will it be better to just use the gasket maker or the actual original gaskets intended for the specific part?

and more importantly why would using the gasket maker be better? or not as good as the actual paper gaskets?

*Will be using gasket for the timing case covers and the thermostat housing, and both parts of the oil pan.

the gasket maker is 1000x better. Using it you are not only sealing two parts together but you are actually glueing them to each other. Gasket maker will hold up to heat better than paper and it will provide a better seal for much longer. Alot of people shit on gasket makers because its not OEM ect.

The bottom line is victor reinz paper gaskets suck and the right stuff or any other automotive grade gasket maker is going to outlast paper by far.

The key is prep. Make sure both mating surfaces are super clean before you start sealing the engine up. I have 3 m42s one currently turbo charged and they are all sealed with gasket maker (aside from metal profile gaskets which must be used in specific areas) None of them leak a drop of anything.

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
    Ig:ryno_pzk
    I like the tuna here.
    Originally posted by lambo
    Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

I cover my paper gaskets in a thin layer of gasket maker. Never had any leaks.

The Build:
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=191125

Comment

Originally posted by ttrousdell View Post
        I cover my paper gaskets in a thin layer of gasket maker. Never had any leaks.
        I'm thinking about doing this

Comment

I agree with asschug rightstuff if you don't want leaks
          Originally posted by bmwm42
          PNW vulture pm me for parts
          Strategic nw e30 command

Comment

Originally posted by salvuhdor View Post
            I'm thinking about doing this
            Don't bother with the paper gasket if you're going to use the gasket maker.

The Right Stuff works EXTREMELY well if you follow the directions. From my extensive experience, M42s tend to be leaky with the paper gaskets.
            Originally posted by Gruelius
            and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

Ken - are you back in OR? Done with school or on break?
              Parts Collector and Former Houndstooth interior junkie.

Comment

I used a super thin layer of gasket maker on the paper gaskets and installed them. Ill let you know how it goes. If I see any leaks (since I was leaking from my gasket before) I will ditch the paper gaskets completely and use "the right stuff"!

Comment

Pap works fine when all the parts are brand new with a perfectly machined surface, but by now there is usually a slight bit of pitting and caked on old gasket stuck on the sealing surfaces, so right stuff would be a better seal.
                  Byron
                  Leichtbau

Comment

I just did a head gasket change on my m42, coated the paper gaskets for the timing case components and the valve cover gaskets (brand new ones still allowed some oil in my SP holes) with grey great stuff and havent leaked a drop.
                    1991 318is ---230K - DD
                    1991 318i ---- 308K - retired

Originally posted by RickSloan
                    so if you didnt get it like that did you glue fuzzy oil to the entire thing?

Comment

I vote for the combo.
                      Different strokes for different folks.

Comment

I no joke made a gasket out of A4 paper for the case on my diff after I swapped in a poly mount., and didn't use any sealant. Hasn't leaked at all after a year.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerta View Post
                          Ken - are you back in OR? Done with school or on break?
                          Back in PDX for a while. Just finished my first year of med school.
                          Originally posted by Gruelius
                          and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

Working...
                          X