A/C questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A/C questions

Ok, I'm not too familiar with a/c systems since most of my cars didn't have it, lol.

My A/C hasn't worked since I bought my car and summers in the south are brutal.

I was told the only thing wrong with the A/C was the compressor is seized.

Compressor is ordered and I got the belt and R-134a conversion fittings already and I have access to refrigerant and the machine to charge my system at work.

Are there any other things I need to look for? I know there is oil or something that goes in the compressor, but it isn't new..its used, do I still need the oil?

Also, someone mentioned I may need a new orifice tube? But I haven't found one available...from what I know, not all cars come with those?

Any tips appreciated! Thanks!
    1991 318is - Daily/weekend track car.

An on-ramp is a terrible thing to waste...

Im trying to get my ac going as well, from what i gathered the condenser needs changed to a parallel flow type, along with a new dryer and pretty much every seal in the system. :(

318is, m50tu g240 s3.46

Comment

Oh damn...that's just to convert it to R134a?

Comment

yep :( but i found this earlier today.. http://www.amazon.com/Freeze-12-Refr.../dp/B002EQKP2Q

318is, m50tu g240 s3.46

Comment

Yea I can't find Freeze 12 anywhere around here...I figured it would just be easier to convert. I didn't realize you had to replace everything else in the system too though.

Comment

Why 'convert' to 134a when there are several drop in replacements for r12 that perform better, run lower pressures, and are compatible with the oil already in your system?

Comment

Which refrigerant are you using and how does it cool? Was your system open prior to the refill and do you notice the need to recharge frequentlyish?

Comment

Originally posted by Ryann View Post
                Why 'convert' to 134a when there are several drop in replacements for r12 that perform better, run lower pressures, and are compatible with the oil already in your system?
                Sooo.....what are these replacements you speak of??

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
                Which refrigerant are you using and how does it cool? Was your system open prior to the refill and do you notice the need to recharge frequentlyish?
                Not sure what the exact fluid was that was in it, but it still has the R12 fittings on the lines. The A/c has never worked in my car since I got it, I had to get a new compressor.

Comment

Originally posted by InNeedOfBoost View Post
                  Not sure what the exact fluid was that was in it, but it still has the R12 fittings on the lines. The A/c has never worked in my car since I got it, I had to get a new compressor.
                  Sorry, I should have quoted or used an arrow, I was addressing Ryann. As long as your system has not been opened you should be good to go if there is a good "drop in" solution. Let's hope we hear back here.

Comment

I have successfully recharged many R12 systems using both R401a and R414b without changing any of the system componentry or oil. These gasses were specifically designed to be drop in replacements for R12 systems. They mimic R12 pressures, are compatible with R12 metering devices, and are 100% compatible with the oil already in your system. R414b is marketed by ICOR under the name 'Hot Shot'. They have also recently released a product called Hot Shot II that is significantly less expensive per pound, and I plan on putting it to use for the first time this summer.

Comment

I need to figure out what fluid was in the compressor I just got.

Now I'm debating even running the a/c since I'll have my Pathfinder up and running later this month. That already has ice cold a/c..Haha.

Comment

Charge it, and see if you like how it works before ditching it. If not cold enough for your liking scrap then the A/C.

Comment

Gotta get my a/c working!
                          1991 318is, AWII, Eibach/GC, Koni
                          Riverside CA

Comment

if you can afford it do this

my A/C is ICE cold. its awesome.

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
                            Ig:ryno_pzk
                            I like the tuna here.
                            Originally posted by lambo
                            Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Working...
                            X