Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stupid m42! Didn't start!

Okay keeping it simple. 1991 318is m42

Car ran perfectly fine but some rattle noise. One rail guide was shot.

I did a overhaul. Removed timing covers and replaced all parts from water pump to all the rail guides and did all gaskets.

I had the alignment tool for the cam shafts and bellhousing. I installed the chain, the tensioner, guides etc etc.

Okay now bolted everything up to torque (crankshaft bolt at +250lbs) and made sure hoses were good.

Car cranks and starts for no more than one or two seconds and dies, I hear like a knocking noise. It sounds like it hits something and stops. After numerous tries I gave up.

I will be back out there tomorrow trying to figure it out. Is there any way I could adjust timing on this car?

I've taken a video Which i will post here soon. Any help would gladly be appreciated!

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Some droplets of water was found inside my engine compartment.

I have incorrectly installed the mess under the intake. It was a pain installing them, and now tomorrow I will need to take off the manifold and triple check. About 99% sure it was an incorrect hose.

Comment

Pics of you cam gears would help
        Originally posted by bmwm42
        PNW vulture pm me for parts
        Strategic nw e30 command

Comment

Originally posted by salvuhdor View Post
          Some droplets of water was found inside my engine compartment.

I have incorrectly installed the mess under the intake. It was a pain installing them, and now tomorrow I will need to take off the manifold and triple check. About 99% sure it was an incorrect hose.
          Fingers crossed for that being the issue, but that whump I thought I was hearing in the video sounds like a timing issue. It's well worth checking that you have TDC 1 with the pistons and vibration dampener and your cams/gears are aligned (and you don't have to take much off, just two plugs and the VC).

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
            Fingers crossed for that being the issue, but that whump I thought I was hearing in the video sounds like a timing issue. It's well worth checking that you have TDC 1 with the pistons and vibration dampener and your cams/gears are aligned (and you don't have to take much off, just two plugs and the VC).

My Father was talking about this. He helped me put the engine back together. I actually have photos of it. The vibration damper has a gap which aligned to the arrow on the engine cover, we believed that we did align it but we still check tomorrow for sure and take pictures.

As for the cam gears, I will snap a shot or two tomorrow afternoon as well.

Comment

if you aligned the timing mark to the gap on the tone wheel the timing is wrong. You have to align the timing arrow on the oil filter housing with a stamped notch. Its sometimes very hard to see.

You are off on the crank. 100% sure.

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
              Ig:ryno_pzk
              I like the tuna here.
              Originally posted by lambo
              Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

^^^ this!

Thanks I've been searching online whether or not it was aligned properly!

I'm am going to do this in about 3 hours

Comment

Everything is aligned fellas but it doesn't start... Could it be a wrong hose connected to the intake manifold that would made the engine act this way on start up

Comment

the only reason it wouldnt start if all your timing marks align is if you have a massive vac leak. could also be spark plug wires not in the correct order
                    Originally posted by bmwm42
                    PNW vulture pm me for parts
                    Strategic nw e30 command

Comment

Cam and crank sensor plugs were switched?

Comment

so here is what I will do.

-Recheck all hoses and connections under the intake
                        -Carefully check my spark plug wire connections make sure they are in the right cylinder
                        -Check cam shaft, crank shaft sensor connections
                        -Then check timing chain sprockets, would it be a big deal if I bolted in the hex bolt a little off to the side on the slots for the sprockets instead of directly in the smack dab middle?

Comment

The first three sound like perfectly reasonable steps.

If the bolts are not centered the car should start, but I would center them. It's not too hard to do while you are there. If they have arrows put those up and IIRC, the little dowels are down and to the left in that orientation (if your gears have no arrows).

Comment

My freakin spark plugs... Wow

Car starts now!!!
                            Time to give it a wax, alignment, install my fogs, euro smilies, mtech steering wheel, paint and install my "is" lip... Ahh soo happy!

Comment

What was exactly wrong? Spark plug wires got mixed up?

Comment

Working...
                              X