Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M42 knocking sound help

Hello,

My engine started making a very loud knocking sound.
    It's a E36 M42. Hidraulic tensioner is new. i'm guessing bent valve, hydraulic lifter failure or maybe something worse..tell me what you think.
    you can ear the sound here and here
    Last edited by MBGold; 06-06-2013, 09:41 AM.

Could also be the rod bearings.

M42 turbo build.
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=301330

Comment

humm, can easily test that...wait a minute.

Comment

yeah probably...unplugging 4th cyl plug reduces almost all the knocking...
        what could be the causes of this?

Comment

Well, when you take the explosive load off of one cyl you change the way in which thrust is applied to the crank, right? So it could be anything from a bad crank/bottom end to a vibration dampener failure. I think a better clip without wind noise would really help.

Comment

i've recorded another clip
            check here

Comment

Does this noise start happening at ~3000RPM?

It is always a little hard to tell what exactly is going on from recordings, but this could be timing assembly related. Have you given the chain and guides a look? When was the tensioner last replaced?

A common fault on the M42 is the crank thrust bearing getting chewed up. Stock, the engine only has half of a thrust bearing shell, 180 degrees. It can wear out and leave you with a lot of crank end play. Can you check that?

I would drain the oil and see what is in it. I HIGHLY recommend getting a magnetic oil pan drain plug since it can provide some insight into wear, and prevent anything with iron in it from getting sucked into the pump.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Can also be a bad oil pump or clogged pickup. My previous.m42 did the same. Oil is.not getting to the upper parts of the engine

Comment

It sounds more like one cylinder is not firing to me than a rod/bearing issue. I would take the plugs out and inspect them. If it turns out that one is not firing (due to no spark) it's probably a coil or coil driver failure.

Comment

i've replaced the tensioner maybe at 3000km/1800miles ago.
                    I've also replaced the timming cover gasket and when i did the guides looked ok.Even so i noticed some random rattle coming from the chain when i rev it hard, then it goes away. But now the sound is different.
                    Probably is the a rod bearing or crank bearing.Will get the oil pan out tomorrow and look into it.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
                      It sounds more like one cylinder is not firing to me than a rod/bearing issue. I would take the plugs out and inspect them. If it turns out that one is not firing (due to no spark) it's probably a coil or coil driver failure.
                      I have had coils go out before. It doesn't make any weird noises, just runs like shit (on 3 cylinders).

Originally posted by MBGold View Post
                      i've replaced the tensioner maybe at 3000km/1800miles ago.
                      I've also replaced the timming cover gasket and when i did the guides looked ok.Even so i noticed some random rattle coming from the chain when i rev it hard, then it goes away. But now the sound is different.
                      Probably is the a rod bearing or crank bearing.Will get the oil pan out tomorrow and look into it.
                      Good idea. I wish we could give you happier answers, but bad mechanical noises from engines are usually due to bad mechanical things!

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Just to let you know that it was the 4th cyl. rod bearing smashed. The 2th cyl. was also bad.Engine with 95.000miles

Thanks,

Comment

Working...
                        X