Why are Spark plug wires so expensive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why are Spark plug wires so expensive?

Are Hondas really that cheap... $200ish on just wires? That's like 4 times the price from Hondas :(

hunt around,,you can find em cheaper and just reuse the metal loom

but your best bang for the bucks...get rid of the coils and wires and go with a cop kit

Comment

Where are you seeing them for $200!? Howabout the $136 range-ish.
      ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Because its a bmw
        Bought parts from me before? leave your feedback here

Comment

I would imagine it's due to the rather odd design, deep welled click in plug caps with unequal length wire to the coils. Still, $200 is too much, $150 would be the absolute limit to what I would pay, and 120/130 would be the normal cost.

Perhaps you should check the resistance in the wires before deciding to replace them (if that's what you're up to).

Comment

I think it was advance auto where I seem them for that. $214 for bosh if I'm not wrong. I think NGKs were like $170 -_-

Comment

An easy way to save money here is to never buy parts from the local auto parts stores except in case of emergency, in which case they won't have what you need.

Comment

You should be sourcing parts from the forum's sponsors anyway. Advance is not one of them.
                Originally posted by kronus
                would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Originally posted by agent View Post
                  You should be sourcing parts from the forum's sponsors anyway. Advance is not one of them.
                  Part of the expense of the Bosch ones is they a premium built. Check them with an ohms meter they are good. Plus you have that pick up for the ignition. Some plug wires make you reuse this part. I bought some high end cheap plug wires one time. They lasted 6 months. I now run stock BERU wires. Stock plug wires are not Bosch they are BERU.

As I do support the above statment if you can find a napa or carquest they can order world pack parts. They can get you anything you like and they over night and dont charge shipping. Or atleast thats the deal I get here.
                  sigpic"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." -Ferdinand Porsche
                  The ugly car: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=209713

Comment

If you feel like working a little, build your own kits can be purchased at auto parts stores. Usually made for v8's, but the actual wire comes in a roll, not pre cut, so just cut to length and crimp on the connectors.

Comment

For about 40-50.00 you can buy plug and play wire set for m10. The only draw back is cosmetic, you wont be able to use the plastic spark plug cover that says "BMW". Other than that it is great.
                      Let me check if i have a picture of this setup....brb...
                      Last edited by mr ilia; 06-27-2013, 05:21 AM.

Comment

Give Steve at Blunttech a call
                        1991 318i Sedan
                        2005 X5 3.0i Sport
                        2010 328i M-Sport Touring

Comment

You guys are awesome! I'm usually a ghost in every forum I visit but you guys are really helpful! :)

Comment

Here is the pic i promised earlier. I'm using stock bmw m10 wires. Direct fit. 50.00 from Ebay.

I just quickly looked on ebay and found this brand new set, that I would not hesitate using:
                            Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for New Spark Plug Wire 3 Series 318 BMW 318i E46 318is E36 93 92 91 1993 1992 1991 at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!

Comment

ironically, the Boach M10 wires are very poor indeed- the ends fall off them pretty regularly...

t
                              now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
                              X