Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M42 cooling question

Yo,

Back story: This is in regards to my E36 318i. Bought it with a blown head gasket and the head was already removed, so I'm not 100% on all connections, but there are no spare connectors anywhere that aren't hooked up. Perhaps there is something switched around.

The issue: After I put the car back together, I put 2+ gallons of coolant in it, radiator is full and the drivers side top hose is hot after running for about 10 minutes. Passenger side hose is cold indicating no flow. I can't tell that the thermostat has opened like you usually can when the vehicle warms up. Also, the temperature gauge doesn't register anything at all. I understand that the thermostat isn't opening but I'm wondering if it could be bad out of the box? Is the temp gauge hooked up incorrectly or is it not registering any temperature because there is no coolant flowing past the sensor?

This was my first time working on an M42 and naturally I didn't take it apart so putting it back toghether was somewhat of a nightmare. Especially since all M42 info out there is related to an E30, not an E36. Harness connections, vacuum lines, intake manifod etc were all different.

I also capped off the throttle body and butterfly plate coolant lines and routed a hose like so:

Additionally, I pulled the upper manifold and switched the connectors on the water temp sensor and the other water sensor, same result.

Any ideas? Anybody have a dumbass proof layout of harness connectors coming from that lovely harness of fuckery that fits in the center of the lower manifold?

you need to bleed the air out of the system.

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
    Ig:ryno_pzk
    I like the tuna here.
    Originally posted by lambo
    Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Originally posted by Dj Buttchug View Post
      you need to bleed the air out of the system.
      That's what I thought, I just really feel like coolant should be flowing through that top hose especially when the car was running for 15+ minutes. I will say that the bleeder screw continues to bubble and I'm continuing to add more coolant as needed. I'm sure I just need to spend more time with it. I'll mess around tonight and report back.

As far as the gauge issue, I'm sure it's not connected properly. It was 100% functional before I got a hold of it so that I take responsibility for. Just an irritating issue. Does anyone know the color of the wires for each connector for the coolant sensor and the gauge sender?

Comment

Perhaps the t-stat is in backwards? Glad to see someone fix it instead of swapping!

Comment

The two sensors under the intake manifold use the same style connector and are easily fitted incorectly, try swapping them around and see if the temp gauge works

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
            Perhaps the t-stat is in backwards? Glad to see someone fix it instead of swapping!
            Pulled the T-stat last night and it was installed properly, as I thought. I also boiled it to verify that it opens properly, and it does. I had the car running for over 20 minutes last night and I believe I finally got most of the air out of the system.

Originally posted by tobias View Post
            The two sensors under the intake manifold use the same style connector and are easily fitted incorectly, try swapping them around and see if the temp gauge works
            Bah. I tried this last night and still, no luck. I've already done this but still yielded no results. I guess I'm back to reading wiring diagrams. Fuck I hate the intake manifold/harness setup of the E36 318s. Makes a huge fucking mess of everything.

Comment

Working...
            X