Idling funny then smoke ... Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idling funny then smoke ... Help!

Hey guys need some help diagnosing a problem with my 91 M42 car with roughly 255,000 miles on it. Out for a drive this morning and the car suddenly is barely holding its idle. I get that warning light that's below the fuel gauge as well as the service light. Decide to keep my foot manually idling the car at neutral the couple of miles back home to keep it from stalling. Get home, pop the hood and immediately see smoke and smell oil. Other than this today, my check engine light have generally been on for the last few months. Last oil/filter I did was almost 5,000 kilometers ago.. Also, I've been loosing 1/4 quart of oil every week, but I'm told that it's normal (I run 10w30 Chevron supreme). Any ideas as to what's wrong? I plan on making a 500 mile drive next weekend so id like to fix it before then. Thanks!

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
    1983 Peugeot 505 STI
    1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
    2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Since when is it normal to lose 1/4 quart a week........where is the oil leak visible from....assuming its probably coming from a shitty worn out valve cover gasket/grommets
    Originally posted by bmwm42
    PNW vulture pm me for parts
    Strategic nw e30 command

Comment

Spark plug well gasket perhaps? Certainly can give you a weak spark/bad idle when a plug is bathed in oil.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
        Spark plug well gasket perhaps? Certainly can give you a weak spark/bad idle when a plug is bathed in oil.
        this.

also im confused. is it smoking from the tailpipe or from inside the engine bay.

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
        Ig:ryno_pzk
        I like the tuna here.
        Originally posted by lambo
        Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Originally posted by Dj Buttchug View Post
          this.

also im confused. is it smoking from the tailpipe or from inside the engine bay.
          sorry for the incomplete description guys...my minds been scrambled between 3 hrs of sleep in the last 24 hrs and studying for finals

the smoke was coming from the engine bay. not the tailpipe.
          got the whole lower level of the house smelling like burnt oil haha

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
          1983 Peugeot 505 STI
          1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
          2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

I'd go with valve cover / spark plug gaskets leaking oil onto the exhaust, and probably also air into the valve cover, which would be sucked up by the crank vent and cause the weird idle, combined with oil on the plugs.

Comment

Those are your service lights. They are not related to your issue. I agree with above. Side note you might want to to be running thicker oil 15-50 unless you are in a very cold climate.

Comment

Working...
              X