Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Because Racecar Cooling simplification help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Because Racecar Cooling simplification help.

Ive searched and searched every forum but have not found the information I seek. Im trying to simplify the cooling system as much as possible, my thought are the less there is the less that can go wrong, and easier to troubleshoot in the field.

Help-full information tidbits to help you help me.
    All A/C components have been removed.
    New Behr 318is Radiator with integrated expansion tank.
    Removed the throttle warm up plate and U shaped warm up plate.
    Heater core has been removed with no intention of future use.

Now on to my quest. This is the stock set up.

This is to the point that I know for sure can work assuming I can cap off or connect numbers 22 & 23 to loop the system. Id prefere to cap them at the port if i can.

Now on my quest to eliminate hoses is there any way I can ditch the coolant pipe and hose #4? Or attach hose #4 to where the coolant pipe goes in?

Thanks for any help or guidance you can contribute.

Jack
    I'm cooler in person.

You can definitely rid yourself of the throttle body heater if you haven't already, but that's about it. As for whether or not to cap off or re-route the heater hoses, there are differing opinions. I've personally capped off heater hoses on any racecars, but you should be fine either way.

I'm not too sure about #4 though. I don't recall my 2002 having that hose as I don't have an expansion tank and I'm almost positive it doesn't have that connector coming off of the coolant pipe. I've more than likely plugged it if it does.
    75' M42 Powered 2002
    AW 318is

Comment

It's my understanding that #4 is some sort of over flow hose. But I'm not sure what would be doing the over flowing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      I'm cooler in person.

Comment

Hose #4 goes from the block to the expansion tank. You definitely need it! Its what connects the tank to the rest of the system.

I disconnected hose 23 and 22 (no heater). I capped 22 and I tapped the head for a 3/4"NPT plug to cap that port off. I also tapped where hose 11 goes in for a 1/2"NPT plug.

You could get rid of the plastic coolant pipe if you turned an adaptor that just had one outlet for the overflow tank hose. Ill probably make an adaptor eventually, but I just used the plastic pipe for now since I had a spare new one.

Im sure I have pictures posted on here somewhere....
        -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

Nice info...

[ETA - E30 Adapters] 5 Lug kit with e46m3 front and e46 325/328i rear brake setup
          ---------------------------------------------------------------
          [ETA - E30 Adapters] - 5 Lug kit | DTM Shifter | DSSR
          ---------------------------------------------------------------
          Transaction Feedback

Comment

Thanks for the reply guys. After this I move on to vaccume lines

I'm cooler in person.

Comment

Working...
            X