E36 m42 into e30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E36 m42 into e30

Hey guys. I found a decent used motor to swap into my 318is. I was told it was from a e30 with 93k on it but when I went to look at it I noticed the manifold was different. I searched the Vin and the build date is 1995/09/08. After further research if it has the crank sensor in the front of the motor all I have to do is swap the intake manifold exhaust manifold upper and lower sump along with oil pump right? Is all that needs to be done and I can drop it right in? Also ok going to be doing this in my garage should I remove the old m42 with the tranny connected or should I do it separate? Thanks for any help.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Yep just change the oil pans, intake, and exhaust manifold. The e36 transmission had different gear ratios and are closer together. You would need a e36 driveshaft and change the shift linkage I believe. Just use your old transmission. I would replace your output shaft seal and selector shaft seal on the back of the trans while it is out. It would be a good time to replace your shift linkage bushings too. Your flex disc is probably cracked/worn unless you have changed it. You can get all those little parts for under $100 depending on if you get aftermarket/OEM stuff.

Comment

All sensors should work fine? I came across something saying they coolant temp sensors might be different. Also it came from an auto. I need to use my existing manual flywheel correct? Do I need a pilot bushing also?

Comment

As long as that crank sensor is present you can use your existing sensors from your old engine.

When you migrate the FW to the new engine be sure to use new FW bolts and keep alignment the same. A new throw out/release bearing along with the pilot bearing would be sensible.

When swapping intakes be sure that any pressed in alignment towels are in the right places or removed entirely.

Comment

Ok sounds good. Thanks for the help. Also should I switch my ac compressor alternator and power steering pump over also?

Comment

Ayup...

t
            now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
            X