Minimum exhaust size? 1-7/8" okay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Minimum exhaust size? 1-7/8" okay?

Definitely a different question than usually asked, but the issue is I am doing an m42 swap into my 2002, and the car I bought came with a nice new midpipe:

LINK TO MIDPIPE

And it is 1-7/8" diameter. I will have good headers from the engine, going to a 2.25" "downpipe" which will then be reduced to this pipe you see here.

The reason I am doing this is because of simplicity, budget constraints, and quietness. Will I run in to any issues? Will this backpressure cause a severe loss in power?

My Transaction Feedback
    My "build" thread
    BUY MY CAR!!

Here is the car for curious parties:

My Transaction Feedback
    My "build" thread
    BUY MY CAR!!

Comment

If it's a budget concern I'd imagine that a 1 7/8" pipe would work for now. Ideally the M42 is designed for a system somewhere between 2-2.5 inches, yet I have seen many M42s with poorly bent, damaged or hacked up exhaust systems that may restrict flow below 2 inches without seemingly harming the car.

That said, if you are already doing that amount of custom work to make the front fit the mid pipe I'd try to scrape a bit more together and just do a complete system and not allow a new $70 part to dictate design.

Neat '02 in any case, if I weren't addicted to the burbly sound track of the 32/36 Weber equipped lightly cammed M10 with headers in mine I'd put in an M42.

Comment

Well I suppose I'll throw a flange on and make it a temporary fix for now, thanks for the reassurance!!

My Transaction Feedback
        My "build" thread
        BUY MY CAR!!

Comment

My next favorite model after my E30

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
          sigpic
          323i MTEC1
          Z3 coupe
          E60 M5

Comment

Gonna be my first 02, really excited to get this thing on the road!

My Transaction Feedback
            My "build" thread
            BUY MY CAR!!

Comment

Working...
            X