Unique idle problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unique idle problem

M42 has a little cammed V8 rumble at idle. I know theres a million threads that pertain to idle issues so I'll try and make it simple.

Symptoms:
    V8 cammed idle (minus the V8 power heh)
    Gets better when warmer.
    Have to hold the throttle on initial cold start when it's cold outside.
    When engine is warm, sometimes there is a long start.
    On these long starts, often I can crank the engine over forever and the car won't start until I give it gas
    Stomp test does not work.
    Car actually idled pretty perfectly with the O2 unplugged, this is true when I have a new O2
    Car idles the same with FPR unplugged.

Things replaced:
    Mess under the intake has been done.
    New ICV
    New TPS
    New Coolant Temp Sensor
    New Cam Shaft Position Sensor
    New O2
    Tried different ECU's
    Tried different AFM's
    New Injectors

What I suspect:
    FPR.
    Check Valve needed at the fuel pump.
    Harness issue
    Crank Shaft Position Sensor

Losing my sanity. It's been like this for 70,000 miles :-\
    Originally posted by TSI
    ♫ Rust flecks are falling on my head...♫
    OEM+

Also, I've performed a smoke test and nothing.
    Originally posted by TSI
    OEM+

Comment

Update: After many tedious attempts, I got the stomp test to work. I've owned many E30's that were all easy to stomp test, this one took quite a lot of tries to get to work.

Stomp test code: 1215 - AFM. I have tried different AFM's in the past and they have not done anything. Will check the wiring behind the AFM boot but I am sure it is good. AFM carbon tracks were also in good condition last time I checked.

My suspicion now is a clogged cat converter. This is the original cat converter on a car with 300,000 chassis miles.

Has anyone actually had an issue with a clogged cat directly effecting the idle of the car?

If it helps, my car produces an awful amount of backpressure, you can really feel the exhaust flow hitting your legs, but I'm not sure if that's normal on these M42's

The reason why I believe it wouldn't be a clogged cat is because when I disconnect my o2, after a while, the ECU will adjust and it will idle relatively perfectly. My o2 is brand new btw, and this would happen with an old or new o2.
      Last edited by lolcantturn; 05-13-2015, 08:52 AM.
      Originally posted by TSI
      OEM+

Comment

Here's the pressure my exhaust produces, pretty extravagant no? It also seems to be sucking the paper in a little. Note: The motor runs very strong with great compression across all cylinders. And I'm going to check the timing on the motor in two days, just to see if it's a little off.
        Originally posted by TSI
        OEM+

Comment

I don't know if this helps but my car did something similar on cold starting. Typically it would stall a few times till it was warmed up (pretty embarrassing stalling ten feet after fueling up). I did the mess under the hood, o2 and icv cleaning. Nothing worked. Then my starter quit and I took my intake off to find one of the coolant lines had a hole and that's what killed my starter but I also noticed a hole in the hose that goes to the fuel pressure regulator to the back of the throttle body. One simple hose caused many embarrassing moments.

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmerbum318 View Post
            I don't know if this helps but my car did something similar on cold starting. Typically it would stall a few times till it was warmed up (pretty embarrassing stalling ten feet after fueling up). I did the mess under the hood, o2 and icv cleaning. Nothing worked. Then my starter quit and I took my intake off to find one of the coolant lines had a hole and that's what killed my starter but I also noticed a hole in the hose that goes to the fuel pressure regulator to the back of the throttle body. One simple hose caused many embarrassing moments.
            Those were vacuum hoses, not coolant hoses for those reading in future.

Comment

No it was a coolant hose. I know there is vacuum hoses but there are coolant hoses as well as you can see in the diagram. My hose was I believe 18 and in the diy write up they said to just turn the hose to where 11 goes onto the block. Needless to say it was to much stress for a 25 year old hose. Nevertheless all I was trying to say is how easily things get over looked and my problem happened to be the hose on the bottom left of the throttle body to the front of the fuel rail.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Bimmerbum318; 05-28-2015, 04:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X