No announcement yet.

Spare M42 refresh/rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a 4.27LSD I'm going to try. It's not much a street car as it will be a track ride
    NASA
    BMWCCA member
    PCA member 25yrs

1991 318IS slick top
    1997 M3 sedan
    2001 325CI DD

“whoever turns the wheel the least, wins"

Comment

The 3.73 is perfect for a turbo m42, that's what I have now in my car and it's great but I'm trying to find a 4.45 so I can ruin my life even more
      -Dee
      5-lugged turbo 318is Barn car
      IG: @deebelmont

Comment

Originally posted by ccsdo5 View Post
        The 3.73 is perfect for a turbo m42, that's what I have now in my car and it's great but I'm trying to find a 4.45 so I can ruin my life even more
        4.45 is just fine for a N/A street car. After running one for well over 2 years I think 1st is too short and 5th is still OD. It really does bring out the fun parts of driving an M42.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
          4.45 is just fine for a N/A street car. After running one for well over 2 years I think 1st is too short and 5th is still OD. It really does bring out the fun parts of driving an M42.
          With a 4.45, you sit at 6900rpm at 2mph in first gear..lol

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
          '91 318i (Alpine) - daily
          '88 325ix (Zinno) - drive here and there!

Comment

Originally posted by fresh_TD View Post
            With a 4.45, you sit at 6900rpm at 2mph in first gear..lol

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
            Well, that's a valid point, but at least I can't get over 30MPG anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
              I’ve got a 3.73 for sale
              I have a buddy with one local to me.

My city is mostly highway so a 3.75 would be ideal. Plus i can't really sustain anything above 100 without getting that voice in my head saying revs too high. Lol not that i want too but id like to see what she can do.
              DENY IGNORANCE!
              Schwarz 325-totaled
              brilliantrot 318i-daily

Originally posted by mkcman17
              don't think your hamster wheels are fast now. you will still have to give up when trying to pass that V6 odyssey to make your offramp.

Comment

A healthy M42 can take high RPM for hours at a time, or at least in an endurance racer it can.

Comment

^^. Will see in the spring when I track my m42 ��
                  NASA
                  BMWCCA member
                  PCA member 25yrs

1991 318IS slick top
                  1997 M3 sedan
                  2001 325CI DD

“whoever turns the wheel the least, wins"

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
                    Yeah but I'm currently turbo M42 so a 4.45 will suck on the street BUT it'll make it so I can drift 3rd gear.

The M42 and SR20 have similar gear ratios with their transmissions and a big thing to do is put a 4.6 on an SR20 car to drift in third gear. so a 4.45 should give about the same wheel speed with getrag 240.

If you go to Tomei USA's website on the left side there is a wheel speed calculator so you don't have to do that math to figure what rear end will work best with your car.

-Dee
                    5-lugged turbo 318is Barn car
                    IG: @deebelmont

Comment

Guys.. I'm getting ready to post all these parts for sale. If you are interested in anything, feel free to PM or shoot me a text 850-226-1959. I haven't had the time nor do I have the time right now to complete this build.
                      '91 318i (Alpine) - daily
                      '88 325ix (Zinno) - drive here and there!

Comment

Working...
                      X