Chronic coolant leak at port on M42 head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chronic coolant leak at port on M42 head

The m42 in my e30 has a chronic coolant leak at the nipple port on the cylinder head, just above the head gasket and below the intake manifolds. When I got the car, the port was connected to the intake heater plate by hose with P/N 1153172846. Leak first started sometime after I did the MUTI procedure, when I capped the port with a 1/2-in diameter bypass cap (Dorman Help! brand), which I tightened with a hose clamp. 3/8-in cap seems too small. The head port doesn’t appear damaged. Capping the head port seems straightforward, but I must be doing something stupid. Leak get worse with time, until I adjust or replace the hose clamp and bypass cap every few months. I’ve tried the following things, and yet coolant always leaks from the head port:

(1) tightened hose clamp
    (2) replaced bypass cap and hose clamp
    (3) replaced bypass cap, and tried different levels of tightening on the hose clamp.
    (4) connected head port to plastic water pipe with an M44 water hose, P/N 11531247398.

Is there a fine line between under tightening and over tightening the hose clamp at this spot? Could engine rattle loosen the bypass cap over time? Is there an option other than a bypass cap to seal this nipple port?

Two other possibilities:

1) port is cracked
    2) head gasket leak

Comment

Ditch the crappy rubber and find a higher quality silicone cap. I used to replace dorman vacuum caps every few months and by then they were already cracking.

Comment

Originally posted by vpilarrt View Post
        Two other possibilities:

1) port is cracked
        2) head gasket leak
        Originally posted by bflan2001 View Post
        Ditch the crappy rubber and find a higher quality silicone cap. I used to replace dorman vacuum caps every few months and by then they were already cracking.
        Thanks for replying guys. Good advice. Amazon has high-temp silicone caps for powder coating. I might try those. Anyone have other suggestions on where to buy silicone caps? Parts stores here are hit or miss (mostly miss) on supplies.

For now, I'll put on a new rubber cap. If that stops the leak (temporarily), then I can better discern if the head gasket is also leaking.

Comment

Did the port look corroded at all? On the head that came on my first 318i it had a few visible holes as soon as I took a brass brush to it.

Comment

The port had minor deposits, but didn't appear corroded when I looked at it few months ago. I'll definitely clean it and take a closer look this weekend. How did you fix the holes you found in your port?

Comment

In my case I was only cleaning it because the head had a crack or two in it and was curious. So I ended up replacing the cylinder head however if you needed to fix it I would recommend JB Weld or simply replacing what might be a press in flange.

Comment

I cut that port off, tapped it, then put some thread tape on a bolt and stuck the bolt in there. Fixed it right up
                sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Working...
                X