• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M42 refresh parts

Head Gasket (Goetze)
    Upper chain case cover gasket (VR)
    Lower chain case cover gasket (Elring)
    Gasket- Top of lower chain case (Elring)
    Gasket- Top of lower chain case/profile gaset (VR)
    Gasket- Chain case to Engine Block- lower (Elring)
    Cylinder head bolt set (VR)
    Valve cover gasket set (Elring)
    Valve stem seal kit (Corteco)
    Timing Chain (Iwis)
    Chain Tension Piston (INA)
    Oil Pressure Relief Valve
    Exhaust Manifold Gasket- Manifold to Cylinder head (Elring)
    Exhaust Manifold Gasket to Catalyzer Pipe (Elring)
    Intake Manifold Gasket- Intake manifold to Cylinder Head (Elring)
    Intake Manifold Gasket- Intake mani top to Intake mani bottom (VR)
    Oil Pan Gasket- Upper (VR)
    Oil Pan Gasket- Lower (Elring)
    Gasket- Oil filter housing to Block (VR)
    Crankshaft seal- Rear (Elring)
    Crankshaft seal- front (Corteco)
    Crankshaft seal housing- Rear (VR)
    Water Pump (Graf)
    Thermostat (Wahler)
    Thermostat housing gasket (VR)
    Alternator/PS Belt and Bosch spark plugs

I'll be tearing down an M42 to swap into my 318iS I picked up with a blown block. The M42 I picked up was in running conditiom buy I want to make sure its solid. Head will be taken off and resurfaced. Am I missing anything from this list while I'm in there?

I HIGHLY recommend finding a 1994-1995 M42 timing case and using that. The original E30 timing case is a time bomb because of the deflector sprocket. BMW updated the design a couple of years into the E36. The case is a direct swap, but you do need to get the updated metal gasket that goes between the case and block. Since you plan to have the engine apart anyway, this is a no-brainer.

Also, replace all of the timing chain guides and sprockets.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Originally posted by bmwman91 View Post
      I HIGHLY recommend finding a 1994-1995 M42 timing case and using that. The original E30 timing case is a time bomb because of the deflector sprocket. BMW updated the design a couple of years into the E36. The case is a direct swap, but you do need to get the updated metal gasket that goes between the case and block. Since you plan to have the engine apart anyway, this is a no-brainer.

Also, replace all of the timing chain guides and sprockets.
      I'd add to this list the oil pump. I know these things typically are bullet proof, but on my last build my pump was bad which lead to a tear down. I'd change it for piece of mind.
      Parts Collector and Former Houndstooth interior junkie.

Comment

Thanks for the list!

Saving this for later!

Comment

buy two (or three in case you f up) dowels for the engine block. makes for easier surface prep. they are part # 11121726241

Comment

plastic coolant pipe under intake manifolds loves to fail and is cheap. and also take care of the mess under the intake there are like 8 vacuum/coolant hoses that can be simplified to be 4 hoses. clean your idle control valve also. maybe fuel pressure regulator too while your there. have fun i just did all that
            i love bmws

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

For the plastic coolant pipe when you re-route the top hose back to the block, use the E36 equivalent. It has a bend that pretty much lines up with the connection on the block.

Comment

wish i knew that i used some random shit i had around but it worked so hey. this is a great thread for 42 dudes
                i love bmws

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Working...
                X