Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cracked the threads for the bleeder screw.. Anyone know where to get a replacement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cracked the threads for the bleeder screw.. Anyone know where to get a replacement?

I flushed the coolant in my M42 and when bleeding the air out of the system I felt the screw pop in its threads. Turns out the thread sleeve cracked open. It wont seal anymore obviously...

Can I just replace the thread sleeve? Looks like it is a separate part. Anyone know what part? I cant for the life of me find it.

Here is a photo of the cracked sleeve.... https://ibb.co/Z1M4wBm

I tried to just take it out and check if its a part, but I am not sure how to get this cover off. I took out the screws and plug, but there is something else holding it in an I don't want to crack/break it... https://ibb.co/pKjjKb0

I found this photo online and I still cant tell if its a separate part. haha

Nope, you need a new radiator. I did the same thing on my car's original radiator about 7 years ago. It will leak, and get increasingly worse as heat-cycling causes the crack to propagate. As much as I love the integrated expansion tank and bleed screw design, this is one downside. Basically, never tighten the bleed screw much more than finger tight since the o-ring will easily seal things.

Part #5 is just a cover which does not contain the "sleeve". If you look at the diagram of the main radiator unit, you will see the "sleeve" protruding up from the rest of the part, and that is what cracked.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

The above is quite correct.

If you must repair the crack until you get a new rad you can rip part 5 off and discard it as it will come with a new rad (provided you buy one with a tank as they can be bought without for some reason). IIRC it's either glued or tabbed or both on most rads, but can't recall at present.

Comment

Yeah I cannot remember exactly, I think #5 may have just been stuck on. Also, I think it holds the expansion tank in place, so tossing it might not be the best. Maybe he could drill-out the hole around the bleeder boss to make room to tighten a small hose clamp around it to keep it from opening up? Just for the SHORT TERM of course.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

I'd try a few drops of super glue down inside the crack. Probably be able to fill it up and get it to seal again. Might need multiple applications.

Comment

Working...
          X