an obscure strange question re: motor mounts

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • strad
    replied
    Pssh, who cares about vibration? I've got my M20 vert and soon an M52b28 coupe for smoothness! With this car I just wanna save money and keep the motor from falling out, preferably both at the same time lol. Might even M50 this car eventually -- another reason not to buy expensive M42 OEM mounts!

    Leave a comment:


  • tjts1
    replied
    You'll get more noise and vibration in the car with those mounts.

    Leave a comment:


  • kencopperwheat
    replied
    Why not use the IE Urethane ones? They're like $40 each and you don't have to mod them. And likely never have to replace them.

    Leave a comment:


  • strad
    replied
    Originally posted by Teaguer
    If you want to save $$ then read THIS thread .

    You can thank me later .


    Also , when I bought my 318is the mounts were so collapsed that the oilpan was actually resting on the rack .
    You're right, I will thank you! Is my reading correct that I want the late E28 mounts (the green ones) and that I have to cut off a locating tab before install? Also the original writeup says use spacers on top, but one guy in the thread posted a picture of install without spacers. So I guess that works too?
    Last edited by strad; 10-12-2007, 03:14 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • tjts1
    replied
    140k mile old engine mount on the left, new mount on the right. The passenger side mount takes the bulk of wear. Its exposed to heat from the exhaust and takes all the compression load from acceleration. The driver's side mount was in much better shape so I didn't replace it.

    Leave a comment:


  • Teaguer
    replied
    If you want to save $$ then read THIS thread .

    You can thank me later .


    Also , when I bought my 318is the mounts were so collapsed that the oilpan was actually resting on the rack .

    Leave a comment:


  • strad
    replied
    Lol I knew going in that this was a project car and I'd be spending some money on it. That's alright -- I needed a hobby!

    But does anyone have that measurement? From the top of the steering rack casing to the bottom of the right side of the oil pan right above it. Just trying to gauge whether I should buy my hose kit first (the preferred plan) or motor mounts.

    Leave a comment:


  • nando
    replied
    Originally posted by Jordan325iC
    Should be around $40 for new OEM mounts from BMA, just FYI.

    not for the M42. they are hydraulic, so they cost a fortune. This is part of the reason I decided not to buy a beater 318is; I'd rather get one in decent shape than spend $2000 repairing a $500 car. :p

    Leave a comment:


  • Jordan325iC
    replied
    Should be around $40 for new OEM mounts from BMA, just FYI.

    Leave a comment:


  • strad
    started a topic an obscure strange question re: motor mounts

    an obscure strange question re: motor mounts

    So I know my motor mounts would need to be replaced before I go out and put lots of lateral loads on them (rubber's dried out). What I'd like to know is how far the low side of the oil pan is from the steering rack with brand new preferably OEM mounts. I'd guestimate mine to be about 1/8 inch, which is much closer than my M20 sits in my other E30. I'm trying to determine how much they've collapsed without paying bma $124 for a set of new ones lol.
    Last edited by strad; 10-11-2007, 02:15 PM.
Working...