• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

chain tensioner slap

my never ending head replacement on a 91 m42
    never get the time I need
    so today the job took a giant step forward
    but I still dont have the front timing chain cover on (or valve cover)
    I have spun the engine several times by hand ( 22mm on ratchet) and heard or felt no noises from the valve area
    however the timing chain tensioner ( new) and chain seem to "kick" or "slap" about 1 time every full revolution. the timing marks do not change with relationship to the cams and crank
    Im assuming it needs oil pressure to hold it all in place, the tensioner is extended

is this normal, and should I keep buttoning things up ???

sorry if this is a "no issue" I just dont want to do anyting wrong

I have gone through the timing part replacement. Did you mean that on rotation using the crank shaft, the pressure in the pistons build up and then release, making the hand cranking difficult up to a point and then the rotational pressure releases? This was normal. I only remember having the tensioner providing a constant force on the chain guide during assembly and trial manual chain rotations. I installed the new tensioner in the "installed" extended state so it was providing a constant spring force. Please see the m42club forum if you need additional reference information. Good luck.
    sigpic.

Comment

the tensioner uses oil pressure to push on the chain, so you are right that it should be fine once the engine is running.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
      X