HELP! Reprogram Motronic ECU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! Reprogram Motronic ECU

Help! I'm in the middle of swapping a M42 into my touring. I bought a cheap Motronic ECU off eBay and apparently it requires to be reprogrammed. I'd like to get this swap done as soon as possible. How can I get this ECU reprogrammed? Is it worth reprogramming or should I just find a local part out and get another?

If anybody has experience with this please let me know!

Also, does anybody know if the stock ECU from the M40 would work on the M42?

Comment

Why do you think it needs to be reprogrammed? Early Motronic is not like later cars, you plug one in to any compatiable socket and it will simply work, providing the DME and car side components actually work.

M40 DME will probably not work, really doubtful if the pinouts would be correct considering the M42 is individual coils versus distributor setup on the M40.

Comment

You need a 175 ECU, from an M42 car. You can not "re-program" a stock e30 ECU.
        '91 318i (Alpine) - daily
        '88 325ix (Zinno) - drive here and there!

Comment

This is what you need.

No other E30 ECU will work with the M42.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Ok. I bought a #175, but the seller said it needed to be reprogrammed so I was a little worried. Thank you for the quick responses guys! Excited to get this M42 wrapped up

Comment

Some of the later Motronic 1.7 ECUs used in the E36 (M1.7.2 & M1.7.3) have immobilizer functionality and need to either have the 4 digit code changed or bypassed entirely. The regular old M1.7 in the E30 has no such thing, so you can just plug it in and go.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Originally posted by markpopaj View Post
                Ok. I bought a #175, but the seller said it needed to be reprogrammed so I was a little worried. Thank you for the quick responses guys! Excited to get this M42 wrapped up
                Check to make sure the stock chip is installed in the ECU.

Comment

Originally posted by bmwman91 View Post
                  Some of the later Motronic 1.7 ECUs used in the E36 (M1.7.2 & M1.7.3) have immobilizer functionality and need to either have the 4 digit code changed or bypassed entirely. The regular old M1.7 in the E30 has no such thing, so you can just plug it in and go.
                  Do the early e36 DME's without the immobilizer plug into the e30 and work? Not sure how the lack of knock sensors would effect it.

Comment

Originally posted by e30sh View Post
                    Do the early e36 DME's without the immobilizer plug into the e30 and work? Not sure how the lack of knock sensors would effect it.
                    Will not work. E30 M42 = ecu 175, that's it.

Comment

Working...
                    X