Help Installing New Mounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Installing New Mounts

Finally ordered some OEM engine mounts as they were on sale at FCP. Just wanted to go over a checklist and make sure I'm not forgetting something as I'm still nervous about getting under a car on my own. Also if anyone has any tips to make this easier would love to hear it

1. Spray nuts with PB blaster (Canadian car that experienced some winters)
    2. Get Front of car up on jack stands
    3. Remove top and bottom nuts (noticed last week I will have easier access by removing the airbox)
    4. Slowly jack up the engine with a block of wood by the oil pan (an inch or two?)
    5. Remove and replace engine mounts one at a time
    6. Lightly thread new nuts
    7. Lower Engine
    8. Tighten nuts (torque specs?)
    9. Reassemble everything

I'm assuming you can do this solo as well?

Disconnect the intake boot or remove the airbox. I had to raise the charcoal canister, but left the airbox in place. I used a series of wobble extensions on the passenger side. Raising one side of the engine at a time worked well for me as it wasn't going straight up enough to replace both at the same time. I did it by myself and it wasn't too bad. Less than an hour.

Comment

When you say jack it on one side at a time, just shift the jack to one side of the pan? Just worried of breaking it.

Comment

Originally posted by onesecond View Post
        When you say jack it on one side at a time, just shift the jack to one side of the pan? Just worried of breaking it.
        Yep! I loosened all the mounts (both upper and lower nuts on the left and right mounts). I then jacked from one side of the pan and replaced a mount (leaving the nuts loose). I repeated it on the other side. Once the new mounts were in I tightened all the nuts.

Comment

5-7. Use pry bar to move things around as needed
          10. Replace transmission mounts that are now torn from moving the engine

It's absolutely a solo project, and both mounts can be done at once if you are want. Personally, I remove the upper nuts, remove the lower nuts (in case the mount has failed or the tab is MIA for some reason the weight of the engine will keep them from spinning), lift the engine from the oil pan (with a block or two of wood in between), remove mounts, place new ones (and the PS heat shield if you still have one), slowly lower and pry the engine in to place, reinstall nuts.

Comment

Many ways to accomplish things it seems. I have always removed the bottom mount nuts, put the jack under the oil pan to raise the engine maybe 5mm, and then unbolted the mount arms from the block one at a time. Getting those off does not require lifting the engine nearly as much as trying to get the rubber mounts out on their own.

Toaster is correct that this is a good time to do the transmission mounts as well. Make sure to get good ones (Lemforder, Meyle or Genuine BMW)...the cheaper OE-brand ones are not so good. The same goes for the engine mounts, and despite the Genuine ones being like 2x the cost of the MTC ones, they will probably last more than 2x as long.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Just wanted to say thanks, got both the engine and trans mounts done this pass weekend. Ended up being much easier than I thought!
              PS I did use OE engine mounts and Lemforder trans mounts

Comment

Working...
              X