low rpm stutters/hesitations when cold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

low rpm stutters/hesitations when cold

howdy guys. Ive been wrangling my first m42, its been a wild ride (i converted my m42 to studs!). So now when i start it, i get pretty severe hiccups/hesitations when pulling out of the driveway in 1st and 2nd trying to get going, but once i drive it for a few minutes its great and no longer experiences this issue. i did spark plugs but did not do coil packs or wires, also did the mess under the intake and a variety of other parts. I pulled and cleaned my AFM and ICV, i did not pull the cap off of my AFM and inspect the contact arc thing but i dont think it could be this as the issue doesnt exist once the car is warmed up. Its a convertible and the overheat light blinks incessantly immediately upon startup, while the instrument cluster temp gauge reads normally. So could the temp sensor really be affecting things like this? the 02 sensor? crank or throttle position sensor? also i have the squeakiest clutch pedal ever, i removed the shoulder bolt, greased and reinstalled and it stopped briefly only to start squeaking again. very embarrassing, its like that top gear where they fit a squeaky horn as the brake pedal of the old person car.

thanks !

bump, hoping someone could point me towards which sensors to replace first. anyone spliced a ford 02 sensor into their e30? googling not offering much concrete information.

Comment

You can splice in a Ford, or many other O2 sensors, and there are more than a few threads in this section. You can also use info from an M20 O2 splice as the principle is the same.

It may be worth it to replace the DME coolant temperature sensor, as it sounds like your car works fine once nearly any temperature above ambient is read on the coolant sensor. Clearly whatever the issue it's related to cold start problems, so you may want to search this section for similar threads. M42club is also a good reference for this sort of stuff.

Comment

trying to find an image of the hotstart black/white wire. i think ive located it but im just not sure, all this googling rarely has pictures.

Comment

that fixed it....wow

Comment

Originally posted by theroundcow View Post
            that fixed it....wow
            What fixed it?

Comment

on the firewall of M42 cars theres a black/white plug that should remain unplugged on US spec cars. i plugged mine in while diagnosing a mountain of other issues and its suppossed to remain unplugged. car runs great now, still have a flashing overheat light on the overhead check panel but instrument cluster shows accurate readings. im about to make yet another diff fluid thread, plz chime in there too if youd like :)

Comment

Ha, yet another victim of the LLCO wire connection. "Hmm, this thing is unplugged, I must have overlooked this....."

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Originally posted by theroundcow View Post
                  trying to find an image of the hotstart black/white wire. i think ive located it but im just not sure, all this googling rarely has pictures.
                  Did you find an image of it? I've always wondered where this is. I pulled my wire harness cover earlier and see two black connectors, zip-tied away from each other, but I do not see a black/white connector. Mind snapping a photo of yours?

Comment

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post

Did you find an image of it? I've always wondered where this is. I pulled my wire harness cover earlier and see two black connectors, zip-tied away from each other, but I do not see a black/white connector. Mind snapping a photo of yours?
                    The wire is grey with a black stripe, and both connector bodies are black. It sounds like you found the one we are talking about. It is the only connector up there.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Working...
                    X