Strange setup..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange setup..

One year ago i let a shop do auto to manual swap on my e30 m20b20 and i didn't ask them what did you do and what parts were installed just happy that i got rid of the stupid automatic thing.

Now i am doing m20b25 swap and saw my clutch setup and i was shocked it is a e36 318i setup 215mm on getrag 240. I didn't have issue with the setup only if i rev it high and take my foot i feel that some power is lost (slippage feeling i guess) first 2 seconds then the clutch grab nicely i rarely see my tires spins. While inspection the flywheel has spots that i can feel and resurface will fix my issue i guess. Click image for larger version

Name:	smf 215.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	10026068

The setup is clean and only flywheel needs to get resurfaced.

My question: Is it ok if i just keep this setup and what benefits am i going to get if i move to stock setup 228mm i guess.

I run a "stage 1" HD 215mm clutch behind my M30 with the Getrag 240. Basically it's just with an uprated pressure plate with 50% extra clamping force and it has been fine for years with no slippage. If you want to stick with what you have, you could just get an uprated clutch kit.
    My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Ok thanks ...m30s are even bigger ..i think i am ok with my setup.

Comment

Tire size and diff ratio will also play a factor in this equation.

I have a spec stage 3, which isn't exactly a street clutch, but it held enough power to break a g240. If you are doing mostly street driving and don't plan on doing silly clutch dumps over and over, I agree that an uprated clutch will be good. After that I would suggest upgrading the transmission along with the clutch size if you plan to be a little rougher with it.
        '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
        NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
        Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxx_ View Post

I have a spec stage 3, which isn't exactly a street clutch, but it held enough power to break a g240. If you are doing mostly street driving and don't plan on doing silly clutch dumps over and over, I agree that an uprated clutch will be good. After that I would suggest upgrading the transmission along with the clutch size if you plan to be a little rougher with it.
          No rough driving i live in a high alttitude city where engines are down in power lol.

I will take your advice if my speeduino build finished and turbo installed.

Comment

How heavy is that flywheel? looks chunky!

Comment

I don't know but it is heavy.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxx_ View Post

Lol... sure tyres and diff do have something to do with it but I also think 17psi through the M10 + the puck clutch might have also had their part to play. The breaking point for the G240 according to the 2002 FAQ track guys with turbos is 290 ftlbs.

Presumably with 17psi you must be getting up there (love the car by the way!)
                My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Working...
                X