Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

g260 stuck in 2nd gear, need advise on repair

1986 325e stuck in 2nd gear.

Down shifted into 2nd to pass a vehicle and my car stayed in 2nd gear. Long story short, I pulled the g260 out and took it apart for inspection. Here is what I believe to be the issue: The shaft selector (#1 in the diagram) has a section on the end that looks like a "W". This is where the shaft selector locking pin engages to keep the trans in gear. The locking pin has a small wheel on the end that traverses the "W" as you move the shifter from fwd to neutral to back. I believe mine turned sideways and stuck, locking the transmission into 2nd. The locking pin would not come out of the case easily, I had to use an anchor bolt and pliers to remove it.

I need advice for the repair. The "W" end has damage as seen in the photos as well as the locking pin. Additionally, when removing the locking pin, it appears that the section of the case it slides in/out of was damaged on removal. Looking inside the case, it has two areas that look like bushings possibly, but I am not sure. Do I replace the shaft selector and locking pin? Or file and buff them for smooth operation? What about the area of the case where the locking pin slides, buff out the burrs?

Car scenario, it's waiting on a S52/ZF swap. But I am not ready to start the process as I have another vehicle to finish first. I would prefer to have the e30 driveable. A pristine repair is not needed, but I don't want the car to be stuck in second gear again.

FB post for reference with videos: https://www.facebook.com/groups/R3VL...1402558177627/
    Attached Files

Pics of the locking pin, notice how the metal is rolled over the edge from abnormal wear.
    Attached Files

Comment

Does it look like #4 somehow rotated 90deg and got jammed? I don't understand what stops that from happening, and it would suck to do anything to this only to have that happen again.
      Unless it's bent or the wheel doesn't spin, I'd clean up the burrs and use it.

I think someone here recently had #1 laser welded to repair nearly identical wear. Not sure why they had their trans apart.
      I'd probably try to tig weld some meat back onto the shaft, or grind the high spots down to the low - I assume that would decrease how much of a detent there is when moving the shift lever forward/back?
      Originally posted by priapism
      My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
      Originally posted by shameson
      Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
        Does it look like #4 somehow rotated 90deg and got jammed? I don't understand what stops that from happening, and it would suck to do anything to this only to have that happen again.
        Unless it's bent or the wheel doesn't spin, I'd clean up the burrs and use it.

I think someone here recently had #1 laser welded to repair nearly identical wear. Not sure why they had their trans apart.
        I'd probably try to tig weld some meat back onto the shaft, or grind the high spots down to the low - I assume that would decrease how much of a detent there is when moving the shift lever forward/back?
        Yes! #4 rotated and jammed. I don't know what would keep it from rotating either. My guess as well, that loosing any material may cause it to easily go into or out of gear. I could just polish it up and send it.

Comment

unfortunately, i was in this exact same situation, exactly ten years ago today, with my own car. high miles transmission + 20+ years of careless owners = wasted 260.

the selector pin had been worn down, from many years of abuse/poor shifting methods (from me, and former owners), and eventually, the internal selector rod pin popped out and jammed sideways (in third gear, in my situation). my mentor tore the transmission apart and repaired it, but with how much force i exerted trying to get it out of third, i had fractured a shift fork, and neither of us caught it. two months later, it broke and left me in the same spot, so i replaced the gearbox.

tl:dr, i would just find another gear box, but if you decide to go about repairing that one, i would look every component over very, very carefully.

also, i love your avatar... i enjoy occasionally listening to Osho's discourses
          '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Originally posted by e30austin View Post
            unfortunately, I was in this exact same situation, exactly ten years ago today, with my own car. high miles transmission + 20+ years of careless owners = wasted 260.

the selector pin had been worn down, from many years of abuse/poor shifting methods (from me, and former owners), and eventually, the internal selector rod pin popped out and jammed sideways (in third gear, in my situation). my mentor tore the transmission apart and repaired it, but with how much force i exerted trying to get it out of third, i had fractured a shift fork, and neither of us caught it. two months later, it broke and left me in the same spot, so i replaced the gearbox.

tl:dr, i would just find another gear box, but if you decide to go about repairing that one, i would look every component over very, very carefully.

also, i love your avatar... i enjoy occasionally listening to Osho's discourses
            How hard did you try and yank it out of gear? I pushed on it a good bit, but at the same time I did not want to over do it and break a shift fork. I will look at the 1/2 shift fork closely, thanks for the tip. I will try and find some cheap used parts, otherwise I may band aide it to get it driveable.

I didn't think anyone would recognize the avatar pic! He has several great enlightening ways to improve your life and be a better person.

Comment

Went back and cleaned up the selector shaft and lock pin. Got rid of rough edges and smoothed it out. Re assembled the trans and it shifts in all gears. Wont know how well until I get it in the car. Fingers crossed!
              Attached Files

Comment

Trans shifts fine now. I installed a chassis mount shifter with a DSSR. The old DSSR was wore out and hiding the stiff shifting transmission. G260s are notchy, but a worn G260 is stiff. Word of advice: if you have an older trans, just replace the DSSR, selector joint, shift rod (if needed), and shift rail bushings.

Comment

Glad it worked out!
                  Originally posted by priapism
                  My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                  Originally posted by shameson
                  Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Working...
                  X