Getrag 260 Leak Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getrag 260 Leak Question

I replaced the input and output shaft seals a few years ago and at the end of last year I was getting a pretty active leak from the bellhousing. I assume the input shaft is leaking again. Maybe I messed something up. IDK. It's whatever. But my question is, is it possible for transmission to leak out of this area below the input shaft? I tried searching and I couldn't find any discussions about leaks from there. I guess if the input shaft is leaking it's going to run over that and make it look like it's leaking, but I just wanted some insight before I put the transmission back on the engine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	958E60FD-2497-4990-982D-1C2674477FE7.thumb.jpeg.06dc13f6412499c850b91756db7d9396.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	10041344

Thanks

I think you are referring to the round part just below the input shaft. I had mine apart a few months ago and I cant remember what I did on reassembly.

I think you maybe referring to seal #24 here: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=23_0145

If I remember right, I had to pull this out when I was putting the case back together. It is what the counter shaft bearing sits in. It should have a seal. But it would be hard to determine the leak because you cant see/clean the area while its in the car.

Comment

...and yes, it can leak from there. But agreed, it'd be hard to determine if the input's leaking down into that recess and running around.

I have found that when the bearings are loose, the seals don't last very long. The transmission might be reasonably quiet and
      quite functional, but once there's 'too much' play, keeping it completely sealed up becomes impossible.

t
      now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by jbontke View Post
        I think you are referring to the round part just below the input shaft. I had mine apart a few months ago and I cant remember what I did on reassembly.

I think you maybe referring to seal #24 here: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=23_0145

If I remember right, I had to pull this out when I was putting the case back together. It is what the counter shaft bearing sits in. It should have a seal. But it would be hard to determine the leak because you cant see/clean the area while its in the car.
        Yes, that is what I was referring to. When I was looking back at other pictures when I first took it out, it looked like it was pretty wet above it, too. When I removed the guide sleeve I had found that I was pretty reckless with sealant the first time and I'm hoping it was just a poor sealant job. It's all cleaned up now, so hopefully it's not carrier bearing cap.

Comment

Working...
        X