G260 stuck in gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

G260 stuck in gear

I seem to have a unique issue with my 1989 325is g260 trans. I read a bunch of threads about these transmissions getting stuck in gear, but I can still shift mine through all the gears while it seems to be stuck in first.

Backstory on the car, I purchased it with the engine and trans out of it and installed them myself about 10 years ago. The car had some wiring issues and life happened and I never had the time to get it working. The car has been pushed around a bunch over the years and always seemed to roll fine and go into and out of gear.

Finally got a friend to fix the wiring and now the car starts and idles fine. He test drove it around the block, seemed to be ok but the brakes suck, so he trailered it back to my house. I jump in it to back it off the trailer and it wants to stall in reverse. Roll off the trailer and I get it to engage and go backwards a little bit. Then I try putting it into first, it goes in but pops out with a bang and lots of grinding when I let out the clutch. Couple more tries and I get the car moving without it popping out of gear. Manage to shift into second going around the block, get it back into first with some grinding and limp it into the garage. First and only time I have ever driven the car. Gearbox makes a lot of whining noise while driving.

Got the car on jackstands now. Trans in "neutral" position, engine running and release the clutch and the wheels start turning.

Edit: messed with it some more on the jackstands while running and managed to get it unstuck and stuck then unstuck again. Seems to get stuck in the "forward" gears (1-3-5) and then yanking the shifter hard enough into the "lower" gears (2-4) seems to get it unstuck with a clang. It pretty much gets stuck on whatever gear you put it in, but can be freed up with enough fidling.

Sorry for the long explanation, but thanks for reading and providing some suggestions.
    Last edited by Etfren; 04-10-2022, 08:33 PM.

Maybe the forks are bent. Maybe be easier to source another trans.

88' Seta 2.7i Zinno

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...430-my-88-seta

Comment

sounds like an issue with the internal selector rod. i'd get another transmission, unless you can find someone to rebuild yours.
      '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Working...
      X