91 318is 5spd Driveshaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

91 318is 5spd Driveshaft

I have a 91 318is, recently replaced the center support mount & bearing due to the bushing being torn. Now the driveshaft is vibrating above 35mph. Technician thinks vehicle needs a new driveshaft now. Are you able to rebuild or balance these driveshafts? If not, and it has to be replaced, are there any companies that make them other than the OE BMW? Really kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place on this one.

It was probably put together wrong. The universal joints need to line up (be in phase), and the giubo (flex disc) actually has a specific orientation. If your mechanic is not familiar with BMW, it's easy to do either of these wrong, both will cause a vibration.
    john@m20guru.com
    Links:
    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

I'll ask them, do you by any chance know the specific orientation for the guibo? The vibration is between 35mph - 50mph.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	driveshaft01.jpg Views:	0 Size:	24.3 KB ID:	10069624
        The drive shaft must have both universals in phase. Your drive shaft had to come apart to change the bearing. If the center splines are even off one tooth, the car will vibrate. Seeing it's between 35-50mph, I will tend to believe the shaft is off a couple splines.

There are arrows on the giubo which need to point to the flanges. Febi comes with a diagram/instructions written in many languages.
        Attached Files
        john@m20guru.com
        Links:
        Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Working...
          X