Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 Touring drive line into 325i coupe?

Question…
    I have an 89’ 325i auto. I just got a 240 tranny and drive line from a e30 325i touring. It’s my understanding the 240 will work, but will the touring drive line fit in my car, or is there something I need to do to it so it fits?
    thanks!!

Touring driveline is the same, G240 on an M20 technically does work, but is the wrong choice. You want a G260.

Comment

Thanks dude! Yeah I got the g240 for like nothing. I was thinking of throwing that on for a bit, and eventually upgrade.
      hopefully it will work for a bit!

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew042 View Post
        Thanks dude! Yeah I got the g240 for like nothing. I was thinking of throwing that on for a bit, and eventually upgrade.
        hopefully it will work for a bit!
        No. It's not like that at all, even the most basic search for G240 on M20 would show you why.

Comment

What do you mean by driveline? The differential and driveshaft? Factors include diff. gear ratio and driveshaft length.

Comment

So I’m very new to the five speed swap, so if my question is dumb I apologize. I’m just trying to learn. But, yes I have the g240, and I guess the drive shaft from that car. I got it from a mechanic friend, They took it out of a Touring 325i.
            he said the 240 would work fine but again, I have no idea. He told me it was mounted to the same engine that I have, just touring. Maybe it’s apples to oranges?

Comment

I have a 4.10 diff that is not installed yet…

Comment

If someone took the engine with mount, gearbox, shift linkage and driveshaft out of a running E30 it will all go together in to your E30, since all E30s are effectively the same in those areas. If you are missing any of those from that running E30 you will probably just want to switch to a conventional setup, so M20/standard mounts/G260/standard driveshaft.

You will also need the pedal box, since you are missing the ever vital clutch pedal.

Comment

Ok. I got a guy getting me the pedals, and shifter assembly from an e30,but not from the touring just a regular 325i I believe. I only have those two items from it. So maybe it wouldn’t work then?
                  i was hoping to use the 240, as 260’s are at a premium now. Maybe I’ll sell my 240 and try to locate the 260?
                  locally I have seen a few 260’s for sale from a e30 325e and 90’ 535i, but that’s really it.

Comment

Keep in mind that what matters the most are three factors. shifter part lengths, drive shaft length and transmission output flange. I have provided a link below as an example. If you are using the 240 Getrag, you will need a 318i shifter. https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=25_0026
                    And the same for the driveshaft. https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=26_0243
                    Also, a 535i Getrag 260 has a different bell bousing and will not work on a M20 block.

Comment

Working...
                    X