Where is my trans leaking from?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where is my trans leaking from?

I've had the car now for about 8 months, I drained and refilled the transmission oil once. The oil level didn't seem abnormally low.

I noticed here and there a few drips of oil, only after driving the car though, not when sitting. The car is now getting (alot!) of work performed on it, so I'd like to see where the trans is leaking from so I could fix it. '90 325iC. At first it looked like the drain plug, but then it appears to be really heavy around the tail shaft. Would this be the output shaft seal? It also looks like it could be coming from the area where the selector rod goes into the trans. Anything common? Depending on what it is, could it be replaced with the trans in the car? I only ask because I know if I pull the trans I'll want to do a whole lot more work while it's out as well.

~Rick | 1990 325iC ~Noelle - Her build/cleanup thread http://r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=179507

looks like selector shaft and output shaft seals. Common failures, and they can easily be replaced with the proper tools without pulling the trans.

Looks like you need trans mounts...probably due to the leak.

Comment

Originally posted by hoyabmw View Post
      looks like selector shaft and output shaft seals. Common failures, and they can easily be replaced with the proper tools without pulling the trans.

Looks like you need trans mounts...probably due to the leak.
      Yup, trans mounts are gone. Never knew it when driving tho, only when I started tearing it all apart...

Where is the best place to get the seals from, dealer or online?
      ~Rick | 1990 325iC ~Noelle - Her build/cleanup thread http://r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=179507

Comment

Pelican I just got mine and changed my output and selector seal. Selector seal was hard to get out. I had torip the rubber off the seal to get in there. Be careful not to scratch up where the seal goes
        Originally posted by Nicademus
        My car beats off to that car. :bow:

Comment

Op did u ever get his fixed any advice on the selector shsft seal

Comment

Working...
          X