Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For those who want to refresh their factory LSD.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brew View Post
    Bimmerworlds are $75 each, the Porsche ones are $54 each.
    I thought it was $75 for both?

Originally posted by whiltebeitel View Post
    File? LOL
    Angle grinder lol but thats not very exact.

Comment

I'm thinking of rebuilding my LSD myself, I would like to do the following:

Check all my bearings on play/damage but not replace them if they are ok
      Check all the seals but not replace them if they are ok

Use porsche 951 332 551 00 friction disks 2x instead of the worn E30 LSD discs same thickness

Use porsche 917 332 552 12 dog ears 2,1mm 2x instead of the standard 2mm E20 LSD discs

Is this totally plug and play? do i have to check something special? measurements? shims or spacers?

Thanks!
      Pieter
      Last edited by tweetyoost; 03-22-2010, 07:10 AM.

Comment

I mean, you should def at least do the diff marker and make sure the teeth still align. From all the articles I've read, unless you mess with the rear pinion, shit shouldn't change and it should be plug and play.

The porsche dog ears are 1.9-2.1mm thick. you picked the 2.1mm ones. They should give you slight mroe lock up. The friction disks would be better from bimmer world as they are actually made for aftermarket application.

Oh yea. replace all the seals you can. it's just cheap insurance.

Comment

klajsdfl;kajs;dlfkj

I was just going to replace my seals, but now I want to go do all of this.

Thanks OP for extending my rebuild time.

But seriously, thanks for the thread, this will just prolong my LSD.
          2008 335i - n54b30
          1991 318i - m52b28
          1994 fzj80 - LAND CRUSHER

Comment

Originally posted by shiboujin View Post
            I mean, you should def at least do the diff marker and make sure the teeth still align. From all the articles I've read, unless you mess with the rear pinion, shit shouldn't change and it should be plug and play.

The porsche dog ears are 1.9-2.1mm thick. you picked the 2.1mm ones. They should give you slight mroe lock up. The friction disks would be better from bimmer world as they are actually made for aftermarket application.

Oh yea. replace all the seals you can. it's just cheap insurance.
            Yup, I should check the teeth alignment to be sure and replace the seals. No special tools are required for this so it can be done by myself:)

I would pick the 2,1mm plates to have better lockup indeed..

I found a shop in poland (europe) that sells the porsche friction plates and dog ears for around 150 euro (2 x dog ear 2x friction disc) and shipping cost would be cheaper because I live in Belgium.

Would there be so much differents between the bimmerworld aftermarkets and the OEM porsche discs?

Thanks for this helpfull topic!

Comment

I'm pretty sure the bimmerworld clutches would be much better. Stock is meant for daily use. bimmerworld clutches are meant for abuse.

Comment

May i also conclude that the LSD unit of a 735i has a stronger breakaway torque then the LSD unit from a 325i ?

Or are they exactly the same? and how do they make that stronger breakaway torque if yes?

thanks
                Pieter

Comment

anyone know if parts are available for Type 168 diffs? I have a 4.45 I'd like to refresh.

Comment

Very helpful thread
                    Originally posted by audiquattrot
                    bimmers b4 b*tches....remember that.
                    1990 Alpinweiss 325i - secret 500whp build
                    2000 Audi S4 B5 Laser Red
                    1990 Nissan 240sx - Drift Missile
                    2006 CBR600RR

Comment

Very informative thread! The pdf link is down, but here's another link to the write-up.

R135 /// 1990 Alpinweiß II 325is
                      └┼┼┘ /// 1993 Black/Black Convertible (sold)

Comment

I stock metal compound direct fit 188mm LSD 2.0mm Clutch discs if somebody wants better than bimmerworld or porsche (organic). you can do a 4 disc setup. Also 188mm steels in custom thickness-

Also have organic Porsche 2.4MM discs for those who want to get creative and run 2.4mm clutch discs

changing ramp angles must be ground on precision grinder; this is not nearly as easy as thought out to be. Ramps are hardened and cannot be milled traditionally; must be ground. It's cheaper to purchase a BMW motorsports asymetrical center 1.5 way ramp set if you want to go 1.5 way than grinding (and consuming in the learning process) ramps.
                        OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

And I thought I'm done spending money on my E30's !!!! Great info tho
                          Sticky:True e36 one touch windows DIY

1990 M3
                          1992 Mtech (S50 + 5 Lug)

Comment

Originally posted by xwill112x View Post
                            why dont you just weld it?
                            Originally posted by Matt-B
                            hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Since this thread popped back up, an update on this LSD:

I started to notice the locking action starting to go away at an auto-x last fall. Its not gone, but I'm definitely getting some additional inside tire wheelspin while cornering hard.
                              I suspect that increasing the pre-load with the thicker plates also increases wear. I think I'll end up upgrading to a 3 or 4 disc LSD, or maybe an OS Giken...
                              '91 318is
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Wanganstyle View Post
                                Also have organic Porsche 2.4MM discs for those who want to get creative and run 2.4mm clutch discs
                                2.4? I've only been able to find 2.1mm dog ear plates and 2.0 clutch plates. Where?

Comment

Working...
                                X