Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

shaving the m20 flywheel for conversion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

shaving the m20 flywheel for conversion.

Hey everyone I want to know if i should only be shaving the back lip on the flywheel... i saw pictures of a 323 flywheel which is what the flywheel should look like if it were shaved down...

Does anyone have some photos to compare? I want to see where you shaved off the extra pounds to bring the m20 flywheel to around 12Lb.

Any info would be great also.. i will be in the process of doing this, so please direct me.

jou ma se poes in 'n fishpaste jar.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Transaction Feedback

You basically shave off all the mass behind the wheel down even to the ring gear.
    Originally posted by Gruelius
    and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

Cool, cool.... I just want to be sure... thanks ken

Any pics people?

Transaction Feedback

Comment

My flywheel I turned

Comment

Nice.. im guessing thats how mine should look when i get 'er done..

Here's some pics I found, Im not sure where from though... Thanks to whomever these belong too..

Attached Files

Transaction Feedback

Comment

Just take it to a machine shop that turns flywheels, they should know how to properly machine down a flywheel for you. When I got mine lightened, I told the machine shop that I wanted the final weight to be around 12lb and they took care of the rest. Make sure they balance it as well.

Comment

Another Question...

The flywheel that will be shaved down was recently re-surfaced/balanced.... does it need to be re-srufaced/re-balanced after the lightening?

Im thinking yes, it should.. But then again I don't know much...

Transaction Feedback

Comment

Yes it needs to be re-balanced if it is shaved down. Yes it needs to be resurfaced if you are putting a fresh clutch on there.

'89 Alpine S52 with goodies

Comment

Originally posted by thebutcher37 View Post
                  Another Question...

The flywheel that will be shaved down was recently re-surfaced/balanced.... does it need to be re-srufaced/re-balanced after the lightening?

Im thinking yes, it should.. But then again I don't know much...
                  The machining is done to the back of the flywheel, so it won't affect the surface on the clutch side. If you just had it resurfaced, I would not say it's necessary to do it again.

You do want to have it rebalanced though.

Erik

Comment

Thanks for the confirmations
                    Adrian_Visser, and erik325i...

What clutches are m42 powered cars with this conversion using?

I use the car for daily .. but also want to track, drift, canyon carve and what not... i drive spirited and i love smoken-up them tires for my lady

HAH, but seriously... the car is stockish but i want to be ready.

Transaction Feedback

Comment

Bump... anybody have advice on a clutch kit to use with my Lightened m20 flywheel conversion on my m42????

Transaction Feedback

Comment

Working...
                      X