Sheet metal shift console and flywheel balancing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sheet metal shift console and flywheel balancing

Excuse the thread title, I figured I would get 2 questions out of the way in a single thread.

From scrounging around the forums I see people gripe about the sheetmetal shift console and suggesting a replacement with the aluminum one.

I dont see what the big fuss is about. Wouldn't replacing the shifter bushings be the solution to the problem instead of trying to retrofit the aluminum shifter?

---
    Next

I am going to get my flywheel resurfaced in preparation for my 5spd swap. should the flywheel be balanced? Should it be balanced with the pressure plate? any ballpark figures on what that costs and where I could have that done?

Originally posted by Sagaris View Post
    From scrounging around the forums I see people gripe about the sheetmetal shift console and suggesting a replacement with the aluminum one.

I dont see what the big fuss is about. Wouldn't replacing the shifter bushings be the solution to the problem instead of trying to retrofit the aluminum shifter?
    The design of the older shifter assembly causes shifter slop even with new bushings. The bushings probably wear out faster as well, in comparison to the new style shifter. BMW wouldn't totally redesign something for no reason.
    85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
    e30 restoration and V8 swap
    24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Working...
    X