CSB Fail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CSB Fail

So after a few months of a slight vibration that I suspected was the Center Support Bearing it finally gave out last night and resulted in a very noisy drive home as it bashed against my floorboards.
    My question is if the car is still drivable if I baby the lower gears to avoid the initial bashing till it gets up to speed?
    Can I damage the car by driving it like this?
    I'm waiting for the new bearing to arrive from US so will be a couple of weeks, my car is due a service and will get it installed then.

I'm just worried that i'll damage more components down there by continuing to drive it with things knocking around.
    Am I best off to quit driving till its fixed completely?
    Your signature picture has been removed. Refer to the Signature and Avatar Guidelines in The Rules.

Originally posted by slammin.e28guy
    I <3 dead naked girls.

dude seriously?

yes it will damage your car
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
    Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

dont do it! then you will need a new driveshaft and god knows what else.
      harry/harout

Comment

Hey doc, when I hit my head with this massive hammer it hurts like hell. Should I hit myself more gently, or should I stop hitting myself in the head entirely?

Ich gehöre nicht zur Baader-Meinhof Gruppe

Originally posted by Top Gear
        Just imagine waking up and remembering you're Mexican.

Every time you buy a car with DSC/ESC, Jesus kills a baby seal. With a kitten.

Comment

I LoL'd ^^^

the most likely reason why your CSB failed is because your u-joints are done.
          Driving:1990 325iS, 2007 335i :devil:
          past BMWs: 1987 325iS turbo, 1989 325i, 1995 525i, 2000 328CI, 2001 540i, 2008 135i

Comment

Originally posted by DÌEGØ View Post
            I LoL'd ^^^

the most likely reason why your CSB failed is because your u-joints are done.
            Actually I had a failure of them from really worn rear subframe mounts, new D/S, new bearing, new guibo, went though 3 of them before realizing the issue - subframe was sitting crooked.

Motor mounts was the culprit on a car that just left the shop a cple nights ago. Any failing driveline part can cause other to fail. Replacing the wrong part will result in doing it again and again till the causing issue is solved.
            john@m20guru.com
            Links:
            Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

As ForcedFirebird stated, A failure of the CSB is almost always going to be the result of something else wrong. In the majority of the cases it will be caused by binding u-joints in the drive shaft. Inspect everything (motor & transmission mounts, subframe mounts, etc) and replace both the CSB and drive shaft at the same time as well as any other worn parts..
              The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
              Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Hey Jim, have you ever used the factory engine alignment jig that BMW supposedly makes?

Closing SOON!
                "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

lol cheers guys..I needed to know if I could limp back from the station..Stuff like this always seems to happen around service indicator time. I havn't had a 'regular' service since I got the car. Always something extra to add in there. I'll be sure to mention the 'u joints/driveshaft' to my mech when it goes in.
                  Your signature picture has been removed. Refer to the Signature and Avatar Guidelines in The Rules.

Originally posted by slammin.e28guy
                  I <3 dead naked girls.

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                    Actually I had a failure of them from really worn rear subframe mounts, new D/S, new bearing, new guibo, went though 3 of them before realizing the issue - subframe was sitting crooked.

Motor mounts was the culprit on a car that just left the shop a cple nights ago. Any failing driveline part can cause other to fail. Replacing the wrong part will result in doing it again and again till the causing issue is solved.
                    Originally posted by jlevie View Post
                    As ForcedFirebird stated, A failure of the CSB is almost always going to be the result of something else wrong. In the majority of the cases it will be caused by binding u-joints in the drive shaft. Inspect everything (motor & transmission mounts, subframe mounts, etc) and replace both the CSB and drive shaft at the same time as well as any other worn parts..
                    are you guys disagreeing with me?
                    past BMWs: 1987 325iS turbo, 1989 325i, 1995 525i, 2000 328CI, 2001 540i, 2008 135i

Comment

Originally posted by DÌEGØ View Post
                      are you guys disagreeing with me?
                      Why no! Just adding to your advice ;)
                      john@m20guru.com
                      Links:
                      Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                        Why no! Just adding to your advice ;)
                        :giggle:

Comment

Working...
                        X