Won't go into gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Won't go into gear

I have a problem with my transmission at the moment. When I shift into 4th gear I experience some grinding. However, it doesn't grind right when it goes in as if the synchronizers are bad. It just feels like it wont go all the way into gear. I'll push in the clutch, put it in fourth, then it will grind when I release the clutch. This problem happens off and on. What could be causing it?
    1985 325e - 5000 RPM's of Fury

Perhaps the linkage is worn. I see you have an 85, when was the last time you replaced your console mounts?
    Originally posted by Gruelius
    and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

I guess it could be either of those problems. I don't know what console mounts are so I'm pretty sure I've never replaced them. What's a way to test what could be wrong? Thanks.

Comment

Get under your car and see if you can move the shift console around. If you can, you need to replace the mounts and hardware.
        Originally posted by Gruelius
        and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

If I'm planning on doing the Z4 shifter swap for a metal console, will these mounts and hardware be replaced with it? I really have to do whatever it takes to fix this because there's no worse feeling than grinding a gear....especially when its not due to a bad shift.

Comment

Working...
          X