No more r3vtard assist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

deleted
    Last edited by Wanganstyle; 09-09-2020, 05:00 PM.
    OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

No chance, the LSD I built are on winning cars in all disciplines, ZF is good when you know how to build them, no need for modern patents, certainly gimmick's to say the least.

The full billet does look 'interesting' - Not how I would do it, and would wonder how you actually test such apart from money spent = must be faster.........

Andrew AT E30zone.co.uk | H23-is | S14

Comment

Originally posted by demlotcrew View Post
        No chance, the LSD I built are on winning cars in all disciplines, ZF is good when you know how to build them, no need for modern patents, certainly gimmick's to say the least.

The full billet does look 'interesting' - Not how I would do it, and would wonder how you actually test such apart from money spent = must be faster.........
        You muse be daft.

The full billet unit contains a classic zf inside; something you swear by; it's for a e46 non m.

Try driving an OS giken unit; you will be surprised at the reduction in lap time. They are popular in stateside for this reason

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

They are popular because they are cheap and with more clutches they last longer. As for lap times, until you bring forward hard evidence with data plots concisely explaining the reduction of lap times which are solely attributed to this OS LSD then its just vapour.

Comment

Originally posted by demlotcrew View Post
            then its just vapour.
            As is your claim that the ZF is better...

Comment

This is just diabetes.. Straight up... Type 2 diabeetus.

Both diffs get the job done, your golf club, his golf club.
              Your dolly, his dolly.

So should I just plain out, get rid of my torsen differential? It came out of a 2000 z3 roadster, 3.15, aside from lifting a wheel and getting free spin, why is this differential sometimes looked down upon? I've only read, but can't confirm, that z3 torsen diffs after 1999 were preloaded to prevent the free spin/open diff effect.

It's a %25 lock up rating after doing a parts number search.

Comment

Originally posted by the imitator View Post
                This is just diabetes.. Straight up... Type 2 diabeetus.

Both diffs get the job done, your golf club, his golf club.
                Your dolly, his dolly.

So should I just plain out, get rid of my torsen differential? It came out of a 2000 z3 roadster, 3.15, aside from lifting a wheel and getting free spin, why is this differential sometimes looked down upon? I've only read, but can't confirm, that z3 torsen diffs after 1999 were preloaded to prevent the free spin/open diff effect.

It's a %25 lock up rating after doing a parts number search.
                If you do anything other than daily driving then yes. Torsen diffs suck, it's like trying to play golf with your penis, but you're not mandingo.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
                -Build http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=295277

Comment

deleted
                  Last edited by Wanganstyle; 09-09-2020, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanganstyle View Post

1) If you lift a wheel, all gear diffs except Wavetrac®, will NOT power the other wheel.
                    Except Wavetrac and Quaife.

The only diff that "locks up" is a locker. That's why everything else is called "limited slip".
                    The ZF and OS Giken styles maintain a "lockup torque" that is a fraction of the throughput torque. In a 25% ZF, the torque required to turn one axle relative to the other is approximately 25% of the throughput torque. However, the preload of the device makes it have a much greater percentage of "lockup torque" at low throughput torque.

In a Torsen (or other helical/gear type LSD) the friction inside the device means that one axle can have up to a specific multiple of the torque on the other axle. This is pretty linear down to very low throughput torques.
                    Last edited by The Dark Side of Will; 06-24-2014, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Deleted
                      Last edited by Wanganstyle; 09-10-2020, 07:27 AM.

Comment

So what would the %25 mean when I do a parts number search on my diff?

Comment

deleted

Comment

Originally posted by Wanganstyle View Post
                            Are you sure you didn't get quaife confused with a TORSEN GLEASON?

GLEASONS are a mathematical genius equation designed to lock up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
                            Gleason is just the company that manufactured (s?) the Torsen.

A torsen can bias torque up to a certain ratio that's dictated by the helical angles of the gear teeth. That's the torque bias ratio. If the torque bias ratio is 3:1, then it can put 3x the torque to one side as it puts to the other side before it slips.

If one wheel's off the ground, then that wheel can take zero torque. 3x zero is zero torque to the other wheel, and it acts like an open.

If that wheel can only take 1000 ftlbs before spinning, then the diff can deliver up to 3000 ftlbs to the other axle, or a total of 4000 ftlbs.

HumVee's use Torsen diffs. If they're offroad with one wheel in the air, that wheel will just spin... BUT if the driver applies 500 ftlbs of brake torque to that axle, you now have 1500 ftlbs available on the other axle, less the 500 ftlbs of brake torque on that axle leaves 1000 ftlbs to move the vehicle, due to the action of the Torsen.

A Quaife puts a spring preload in the middle of a Type 2 Torsen. If the spring preload provides 100 ftlbs, then the Torsen can ALWAYS put 300 fltbs to one axle and move the car even if one wheel is off the ground.

Originally posted by the imitator View Post
                            So what would the %25 mean when I do a parts number search on my diff?
                            From the context in which BMW uses that rating, I @$$ume that the friction in the clutch packs is 25% of the axle torque.
                            If the ring & pinion is applying 3000 ftlbs to the axle, then the friction in the LSD will prevent wheel spin if there's less than 25% of 3000 ftlbs difference in the torque that each tire can take.
                            E.g. a 25% diff with 3000 ftlbs at the axle can split the torque up to 1875 to one side and down to 1125 to the other side.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
                              As is your claim that the ZF is better...
                              Im not the self-proclaimed LSD expert.......

For what its worth, I have extensive data from competition cars and my very own car is my proof of what works and what doesn't. I was sick of hearing the same old erroneous assumptions based on profit margins, so I spent a disproportionate amount on data capture and now have an extremely capable competition car (despite is mere 235hp).

I should patent my formulas.........

Comment

deleted

Comment

Working...
                                X