Clutch doesnt depress... Halp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch doesnt depress... Halp

Currently doing an m30 swap... M30b35, e28 dual mass flywheel, unknown m30 pressure plate and clutch disc, e28 getrag trans. We got the clutch bits together, and now when pressing down the clutch pedal it just sort of stops halfway and doesn't disengage the clutch disc. Any ideas as to what is happening? Are there supposed to be spacers between the pressure plate and the flywheel?
    cars beep boop

That rather makes me think that the clutch disk is in backwards and is binding on the flywheel bolts.

I have never seen a case where there are spacers between the flywheel and crankshaft.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

I'm guessing your clutch slave is fully extended as a result of something not matching in the clutch setup. ( too short T/O bearing, missing plastic pivot nub, etc). There are no spacers between press. and fly.
      Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
      The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
        That rather makes me think that the clutch disk is in backwards and is binding on the flywheel bolts.

I have never seen a case where there are spacers between the flywheel and crankshaft.
        Hmm, gearbox side of clutch disc is clearly marked and pointed toward gearbox. TOB is the "correct" one for an e28 transmission... When the pressure plate is on fully, should the springs be about 5-8 mm from the flange of the clutch disc?

Plastic pivot nub is on the slave's pin...
        cars beep boop

Comment

Is the end of the slave visible to view ? If it is maxxing out it will be obvious. If not it will be under the bellhousing.
          Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
          The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Not sure what you mean there. We took it apart and it seems like the plunger on the slave cylinder is way too short to actually reach the release fork...
            cars beep boop

Comment

Try the euro 323i t/o. Not sure how much longer it is than the e28 one though. This happened to me when i put a deep bellhousing late eta trans on my 325i. 323 t/o fixed it

Comment

we figured it out, btw. We had a single mass flywheel and a pressure plate for a dual-mass flywheel. I'm installing the correct stuff this evening, goin' racing on friday :D
                cars beep boop

Comment

hate making those mistakes haha. sounds badass man have fun

wait...did you have a single mass flywheel on and a pressure plate for the SM? if so that euro t/o will work and will save some weight for the difference in flywheel.

Comment

Working...
                  X