clutch stop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clutch stop?

I have one question related to aftermarket clutch stop.
    My car shifts like a dream in ususal driving, but shifting from 1-2 gear is pain in the ass...it stalls, jumps...even if I use the clutch very gently it's almost impossible to get smooth shift.
    I was thinking of getting clutch stop to minimize that

Clutch stops are garbage. They are for pussies.

All-Red/MHW style Professional Tinted Tail lights
    PnP EMS, fuel injectors, wideband o2 systems

Comment

A cluch stop isn't going to help wih the 1-2 shifts. That could be a problem with the clutch, or more likely a problem with the engine. If the idle is a bit rough and/or there is a hesitation when opening the throttle intake leaks and/or other problems with the engine management system are art the root of your difficulties.
      The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
      Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

I like having a clutch stop, but I agree that it's not your problem. a clutch stop just saves from wasted clutch pedal movement, it's not going to change how the car shifts.

also, don't buy a clutch stop. you can make one from a bolt, 2 nuts, and a rubber bumper off the bottom of a chair. you can buy all of this stuff for a couple bucks.
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

clutch is almost new, last year changed and car is idling perfectly

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
            I like having a clutch stop, but I agree that it's not your problem. a clutch stop just saves from wasted clutch pedal movement, it's not going to change how the car shifts.

what he say:
            clutch stop has nothing to do with shifting gears....

Comment

Let me know what comes of this, OP. I have a new clutch and it feels less solid in 1-2 than in 3-5. Feels rubbery almost (hard to figure out friction point, although it holds fine on small inclines). FWIW, it's the single-mass conversion in an m42.

Comment

Bump.

Comment

Check your master and slave clutch cylinders and make sure u got enough fluid. 1st and 2nd are the roughest gears. That said shifting higher is easier but If your clutch isn't engaging all the way 1st to second could be a pain and possible engine stalling or rough shifting. but the last gears wouldnt be so rough as its easier to shift.

Comment

It could possibly be synchro issues? Does it ever feel worse in the morning before the transmission fluid has warmed up?
                    '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
                    NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
                    Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

Working...
                    X